Outnback

Do I Need This ?

I purchased my Honda SxS last March. On a regular basis I receive mailings from Honda Care to purchase an extended warranty. Is this really necessary? At $1278. for 4 years, that's about $320 bucks per year. Really, how much repair work can I do with $320. worth of parts? I've been out of the "Loop" mechanically for long enough I have no idea what $320 will do.

IMG_2361.jpg

The information that is sent with this price sheet never gives enough detail on what is and what is not covered. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Any of you guys deal with this kind of stuff?

Keep those builds and info coming guys, I enjoy it ! 

I bought my extended warranty the day I got my Rancher for $760 for a total of 5 years.I am glad I bought it,had the fuel pump go bad.The pump plus $120 hr. rate at my dealer with only 14 months into warranty,don't feel it was a waste of money.

But most times they are a waste of money,Bought a 7 year extended warranty on my 5th wheel camper never had to use it,it's a gamble.

• Like 1

The 700 is pretty bulletproof so I would say no. What's covered is factory defects, not normal wear and tear items. If a stator assembly or camshaft goes out that would be covered. Axles, boots, brakes, wheel bearings are not or are questioned hard. Main thing on that machine is keep up with servicing it and keep the air filter oiled with a good oil (fine dust is the main cause of overhauls from non oiled air filters). 

• Like 1

As a general rule, no, extended warranties are never something I buy.

Chances are good that whatever you need fixed won't be covered.  If you have a problem that would be covered, it will likely be covered by the regular manufacturer's warranty.

If I'm buying something and feel the need to add an additional warranty to it, then it's not something I should be buying.  I need to find a better product.

• Like 1

Statistically, extended warranties have proven to be a serious money maker for the manufacturers in every industry, which is why every manufacturer now offers them.  That means that overall, they pay much less in repairs than they charge for warranties.

Personally, I've never bought an extended warranty on anything, and overall, I've paid much less for repairs (after the original warranty has expired) than I would have spent on the warranties themselves.

One caveat that I would consider, would be if I purchased a brand new model year anything, as that first year, the manufacturer is usually hammering out the engineering; but then I seldom purchase anything in it's first model year for those very reasons.

Besides, most people buy Honda's for their proven reliability.

• Like 3