cr0ck1

Power Steering Problem!!!! Help.

it says above in the service manual. we've spend over 700 dollars on this already.. about to just burn it on fire. over it. 

As I understand it, you need someone to hold that screwdriver in place as sort of a spacer to start the process. Once you move the handlebars off of it it doesn’t matter if it’s still in there. 

That right @toodeep?

I will say basfnb’s Rancher needs the same reset done to it, so this is info I need to follow as well.

This is why I don’t have PS!

Schmancy stuff breaks!

FE061F09-8202-449E-A766-55678D2F0169.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok so its a spacer so it dont bottom out on the right turn part? So im guessing the steering had to stop a couple degrees before the stopper to activate reset?

cause honestly the screwdriver thing seems like a joke the techs laugh at when they get you to do it. Lol

That's the way I understood it.  My buddy's wife's PS Rancher has had the light on for quite a while (his kid hit a pole with the right front wheel and jacked it all up). 

I looked at the directions and from the way I interpreted it, the screwdriver is meant to space the steering out a hair from being bottomed out to begin the re initialization.

Ok i got my wife to hold the screwdriver..

before i get done with all the steps

PS LIGHT blinks code 18112

any idea?

4 minutes ago, cr0ck1 said:

Ok i got my wife to hold the screwdriver..

before i get done with all the steps

PS LIGHT blinks code 18112

any idea?

if you followed the service manual to the tee ?, then you should have erased the trouble code/codes. if you did not ?, then the code/codes will still be in memory.

I do exactly like they said.

install jumper

install screwdriver

turn steering to right hold firmly

ps light comes on then goes off

turn straight ahead (same light situation as above)back to right

back to right

then off ignition , remove jumper

turn on atv...

ps light still blinking like before i started

1 minute ago, cr0ck1 said:

I do exactly like they said.

install jumper

install screwdriver

turn steering to right hold firmly

ps light comes on then goes off

turn straight ahead (same light situation as above)back to right

back to right

then off ignition , remove jumper

turn on atv...

ps light still blinking like before i started

I read in those steps, some where in it, it said to also turn to the left as well ?, did you skip that part ?.

The 18112.. Is that 1 solid blink, 8 short blinks, 1 solid blink, 1 solid blink and 2 short blinks?

34 minutes ago, shadetree said:

I read in those steps, some where in it, it said to also turn to the left as well ?, did you skip that part ?.

Sorry lol all left

28 minutes ago, toodeep said:

The 18112.. Is that 1 solid blink, 8 short blinks, 1 solid blink, 1 solid blink and 2 short blinks?

1 solid

8 fast

1 solid

1 solid

2 fast

Code 18 is EPS ECU internal circuit issue (there are 6 different 18 codes it could be) and code 22 is failure to initialize the torque sensor. The code 18 could have tripped that one when trying to erase the codes. Do you still have the part number for the harness you put on new?

Well all i did was cut off the plug i needed from the new harness and crimped it onto my existing harness..

the computer under the fender is brand new oem

Do you sill have the old connector? The dual main fuses makes me think you received a Foreman wiring harness. I'm not sure if the wiring goes into the same places in the connector as the Rancher, I've never had a need to compare them. All it would take is a couple wires/pins to be flip flopped in the connector to cause issues.

I didnt swap the whole harnesss.. just cut off the plug i needed and crimped it to the old harness.

Yes but I'm guessing you wired it color to color connecting the wires. The order the terminals are in the connector could be different and if they are it will never work. If you used the quick barrel connectors that also could give an issue with a bad connection. 

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

Yes but I'm guessing you wired it color to color connecting the wires. The order the terminals are in the connector could be different and if they are it will never work. If you used the quick barrel connectors that also could give an issue with a bad connection. 

You are correct.. so i noted with pictures res where the wires went into the pin and wired correctly.. the wires were different colors.

Edited by cr0ck1

Its throwing the ecu short because the old ecu shorted out. Reason why i changed it! Code in there from last time

Do the part numbers on the EPS ECU match on the old and new? I'm trying to dismiss any possibility of a wrong part before digging into the testing to find the problem. With the wiring harness being different (most likely for a different machine) I have to cover all the bases. I know your past ready to smash it with a hammer but we should be able to figure it out. Electrical problems are just hard to do over the web. 

Yup same part number on computer..

this ps steering light was blinking before we changed it all.. the codes I believe are there from the origional problem

I've never done the erasing of the codes manually since I have the MCS. Sometimes timing is key when doing it on other machines so you might try it again and just forget the screwdriver for now. It either didn't erase the codes or it's tripping new codes.

In just going to buy the computer tool .,, anyone have a link to one cheap? The honda scan computer??