1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I bet the 05-11 Foreman front diff would swap in, similar to what I did swapping the 400AT front diff into a 350 Rancher.

Awesome. I will see if my local recycler has one. I it fits, is there just a simple power on, power off switch to control it? And not switching it while moving obviously!!

What I am NOT sure about is whether or not you'll have to have a front driveshaft modified to get the length right on the early Rubicons.  I know @shadetree had to slightly shorten a 450 front driveshaft to fit when he swapped a newer selectable front diff into an older 450.

That's the easy part I'm sure !! I'd be 

pleasantly surprised if the newer front diff just bolted right up

According to the service manuals the '05-'11 Foreman have a 3.153 (41/13) front diff gear ratio so those won't work. While all of the '01-'12 Rubicons & the '02-'04 Foreman have a 3.231 (42/13) ratio. So it looks like a '04-'12 Rubi diff should work but ya might have to mod a driveshaft if lengths or splines differ from your year model.

There are a number of handlebar switch assemblies that will work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, retro said:

According to the service manuals the '05-'11 Foreman have a 3.153 (41/13) front diff gear ratio so those won't work. While all of the '01-'12 Rubicons & the '02-'04 Foreman have a 3.231 (42/13) ratio. So it looks like a '04-'12 Rubi diff should work but ya might have to mod a driveshaft if lengths or splines differ from your year model.

There are a number of handlebar switch assemblies that will work.

Parts schematics show 42/13 for the 05-11 Foreman, Rincons, 01-14 Rubicons, and and 02-04 450 Foreman.

Thanks Jeep! If I remember right we learned that the service manuals specs are incorrect a long time ago. You posted that info once before but I'll be darned if I can find that thread now so I'll bookmark this one. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Here is a pic of the used 424 that I found on E-Bay.

It was listed for a 450, I have a 500. I was/am hoping that it will fit . I am wondering if anyone has a front drive shaft they can measure for me. This one is 10 7/8"  long overall. the splines are both approx. 1 7/16' diam. and 24 teeth. I have a feeling that the bearing in the back half is bad. Bad enough that I will change it before installing it. But before I do that I'd like an idea of if it's going to fit. If it won't fit I will change the bearing anyway and then pass on my misfortune to someone with a 450, for what it cost me! The cable is in good shape, but it didn't come with the mounting bracket and nut or the boots. I am going to assume for the minute that the stock boots will work.

image.png

Gator' , I don't have a 500 to measure for you --- but if length is the only problem , they weld a collared extension onto the  300 1st gen 424 shaft  to make them work 

• Like 1