Gus.Cheese

07 TRX500FM Trans Repair Advice Needed

I’m only days out from pulling the motor from my 07 TRX500FM. My first gear is toast. Any advice or heads up you all can give me? What should I watch out for? I’ve fixed a Kawasaki transmission so I’m assuming Honda will be easier.

• Like 1

If you've ever been in an engine it's not too bad. 

I've done a bunch of these 500's, so just take pics as you go, and if you have a question, stop, post pics, and ask.

When you get ready to split cases, set the engine with the flywheel down, and pull the front crankcase 1/2 off, and first gear is right on top, so if you're careful you don't even have to pull the transmission out.

You can leave the flywheel on since you're not pulling the crank too.

If you google "420 crank youtube" there's a good 4 part video showing an 07 420 Rancher engine teardown, which is very similar to your 07 500 motor.

You can download the factory service manual in the tool bar at the top of this forum too.

Welcome aboard!

• Like 5

One thing is for certain, you’ll never know what you’re going to find until you open it up. Mine quad worked in every gear but first but I also had all the splines wore of the primary drive as well as a few teeth in the first gear. Lots of shrapnel means lots of cleaning. 
be prepared to take it all apart and thoroughly clean all the bearings and each part meticulously. Don’t forget to flush the oil cooler and make sure you don’t have a stripped oil plug while you have it all apart. 
don’t be afraid to take pictures and ask question. You’re not the first to rip this engine down on this site. 
good luck and keep us posted. 

0EE22D41-C23C-4F5C-8F80-22608962638E.jpeg

AC3CBC8F-4F53-4F8E-8748-3B243C755FFA.jpeg

• Like 1

Good luck!

I had never been inside a ATV engine until this past summer. Service manual is king and as you take it apart make sure you take pics and lay it out in order. 

Also, one key thing Shadetree told me as I tore it down is 'the oil holes in the bushings must line up' when you put it back togehter. I'm not sure if yours has that...but it was important on my 450 to ensure oil got where it needed to be.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 3:52 PM, 87Iroc said:

Good luck!

I had never been inside a ATV engine until this past summer. Service manual is king and as you take it apart make sure you take pics and lay it out in order. 

Also, one key thing Shadetree told me as I tore it down is 'the oil holes in the bushings must line up' when you put it back togehter. I'm not sure if yours has that...but it was important on my 450 to ensure oil got where it needed to be.

yeah...pretty much all honda's have those oil holes in the shafts.

• Like 2

All you guys seem really knowledgeable, thank you! Does anyone recommend a seal kit for this job or does anyone have a list of part numbers?

RockyMountainATV is your friend. Great parts break down. There's another one that has better parts interchanges...but I forgot the name as they are more expensive.

I tried to not go super cheap on gaskets(shut up shade). Nakamura? Maybe is what I used for head gaskets. I think the full engine gasket kit I bought I paid like 80 bucks for to give you a price range. Also, for seals, I went with Honda seals. Not super expensive. The full gasket sets don't come with oil seals

Edited by 87Iroc

I bought all my parts from Honda East. (honda east toledo) out of Ohio? i believe.

They were quick shipping and very good to work with. Also, saying you found their name online in forums, they'll give you %10-15 off.

I would order an engine rebuild "kit A" and "kit B". also, replace all the seals. Front and rear output shafts, footshift, reverse shaft, valve seals. Here's a list of things i bought. You might have to finetune some of the parts.

image.png

Edited by sled_22
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, sled_22 said:

I bought all my parts from Honda East. (honda east toledo) out of Ohio? i believe.

They were quick shipping and very good to work with. Also, saying you found their name online in forums, they'll give you %10-15 off.

I would order an engine rebuild "kit A" and "kit B". also, replace all the seals. Front and rear output shafts, footshift, reverse shaft, valve seals. Here's a list of things i bought. You might have to finetune some of the parts.

image.png

Good list.  Don't forget the crank seal behind the pull start assembly.

• Like 1