Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Okay so weird question. I got all my exhaust studs out but one and of course it's giving me a load of trouble. I've tried heat and I don't have another nut to try and do that method because I used all the other nuts to get the others off. And now I can't actually get them off the studs them selves. 

 

Soo here is my question. Can red thread locker be used almost like a weld? I don't have access to a welder to weld the nut to the stud. So my closest thing I have is red thread locker. I'm thinking it will work. I don't plan on reusing the studs at all so that's not an issue. I tried getting vice grips on it but that's not working either. 

 

Any help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

hm.... high temp thread locker .. might be the way, I'd ask fish on this one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks for the response! I figure it should work cause it says it won't come off unless you add heat to it. I'm gonna try it and let it cure for 24 hours and see. I don't have the new studs yet anyway so it's not a rush for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I doubt Red Lock-Tite is going to hold a nut on an exhaust stud  , unless the stud is loose , but if you put vise grips on it and it wouldn't come loose , then it is mostly stuck in there good ----- is there a hardware store close by you ,  get some more nuts 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I would go go to a hardware store but I'm currently under quarantine because we are about to have a kid and I'm not allowed to leave per Dr orders. So I'm really trying to not go out unless I have to. That's why I was hoping the red thread locker would work. We will see tomorrow tho cause I'm gonna let it cure for 25 hours and then try to get it out. 

 

All the other studs were pretty easy to get out so I'm hoping with just enough force I can get this one. My vice grips kept slipping and I didn't wanna damage the threads to much as to not be able to get the nut back on. 

 

Thanks for the response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
9 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your thinking jam nuts, fish ?? 

What I get from reading A+M's post , double nuts were how he got the other studs off , but he messed up all the nuts he had and don't have any more 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, Fishfiles said:

What I get from reading A+M's post , double nuts were how he got the other studs off , but he messed up all the nuts he had and don't have any more 

 

 

 That's exactly right I'm left with one nut  at this point 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

I would go go to a hardware store but I'm currently under quarantine because we are about to have a kid and I'm not allowed to leave per Dr orders. So I'm really trying to not go out unless I have to. That's why I was hoping the red thread locker would work. We will see tomorrow tho cause I'm gonna let it cure for 25 hours and then try to get it out. 

 

All the other studs were pretty easy to get out so I'm hoping with just enough force I can get this one. My vice grips kept slipping and I didn't wanna damage the threads to much as to not be able to get the nut back on. 

 

Thanks for the response!

Well congratulations on the new born coming , never heard of that angle of quarantine before --------   look around on your atv , maybe there is a nut you can borrow for now or look on  a bicycle , lawn mower , your vehicle 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, Fishfiles said:

Well congratulations on the new born coming , never heard of that angle of quarantine before --------   look around on your atv , maybe there is a nut you can borrow for now or look on  a bicycle , lawn mower , your vehicle 

 

 

Thank you! It's gonna be our first we are super excited! And yea we didn't think anything of it and the Dr told us two weeks before we were supposed to be quarantining that we had to. Which didn't give our work much notice but it worked out in the end. 

 

I'm looking right now I gonna try to find another one on my quad and if not I'll move to my car see if I can find anything! Thanks for the help

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
16 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

What I get from reading A+M's post , double nuts were how he got the other studs off , but he messed up all the nuts he had and don't have any more 

 

yeah that's what i get too, are the nuts just so jammed tight you can't them off, then, you can two box end wrenches, and break them loose, if you can clamp stud good! in a vise, maybe over kill for just two nuts, but, it's an idea. you get idea from this pic. 

 

and congrats on the soon to be  new family member! 

image.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 minutes ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

 

 

Thank you! It's gonna be our first we are super excited! And yea we didn't think anything of it and the Dr told us two weeks before we were supposed to be quarantining that we had to. Which didn't give our work much notice but it worked out in the end. 

 

I'm looking right now I gonna try to find another one on my quad and if not I'll move to my car see if I can find anything! Thanks for the help

Congrats on the little one! Gunna change your life! My daughter just turned 5. Its crazy how fast time goes. I have had success with removing them by welding a nut on the end. The heat from the welder helps in removal.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

 

yeah that's what i get too, are the nuts just so jammed tight you can't them off, then, you can two box end wrenches, and break them loose, if you can clamp stud good! in a vise, maybe over kill for just two nuts, but, it's an idea. you get idea from this pic. 

 

and congrats on the soon to be  new family member! 

image.jpg

 

I found another nut on the quad that fit it and it worked! I got it off! Thanks for your help!

 

2 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Congrats on the little one! Gunna change your life! My daughter just turned 5. Its crazy how fast time goes. I have had success with removing them by welding a nut on the end. The heat from the welder helps in removal.

 

That was my issue is not having access to a welder. I don't have one and since I'm quarantined I can't go out to use my buddy's. But I got it off tho thankfully! So thank you, and I can't wait, we are having a boy!

 

@Fishfiles thanks for the help bud!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You are lucky , not only in finding the nut you needed , but lucky the studs came out easy , I have had to drill and tap quite a few of my own studs which broke while trying to remove them from the threads having  rusted away or theey snap off when trying to remove the nuts 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, Fishfiles said:

You are lucky , not only in finding the nut you needed , but lucky the studs came out easy , I have had to drill and tap quite a few of my own studs which broke while trying to remove them from the threads having  rusted away or theey snap off when trying to remove the nuts 

 

I would literally cry if that happened. I had to drilled out a bolt that snapped off in the frame and I'm not kidding it took me like 4 hours to do it. And it was super easily accessible. If that happened I'd have to take the motor back apart and last time I did that I dropped a washer from the head bolts into the hole where the cam chain is....

 

I had a basically had a heart attack cause I did not wanna crack the whole bottom end open to find it. Cause I've never done that before and I don't have any of the gaskets. But luck was on my side again and I fished it out with a magnet, it took me almost two hours to get it out but I did

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Glad you got her under control bro! Enjoy free time while you have it bud! Its all gunna change soon! I found out how small of an amount of sleep i need to function. Found myself working on my quad in the garage way way late at night. I would go to work come home and spend family time and still get my projects done in the garage. Aside from that i would have had a traffic jam of projects. Dont take anything im saying as it being a negative. Its the furthest thing from. Just changes to lifestyle is all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Glad you got her under control bro! Enjoy free time while you have it bud! Its all gunna change soon! I found out how small of an amount of sleep i need to function. Found myself working on my quad in the garage way way late at night. I would go to work come home and spend family time and still get my projects done in the garage. Aside from that i would have had a traffic jam of projects. Dont take anything im saying as it being a negative. Its the furthest thing from. Just changes to lifestyle is all.

 

 

Thanks! I really am excited for him to be here. Can't wait to have a riding buddy 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...