Jemmons467

Old school gas cans

I found a guy on youtube several years ago who was drilling plastic cans and fishing a tire valve stem into the hole for a vent.  I did that at first, but the gas fumes killed the rubber in the valve stems over time, so I replaced them with those vents Fish ordered.

Of course, the thing that irritates the crap out of me is that we used to pay $5 for a blitz 5 gallon jug, and now we're paying $20 for the same can, throwing away the expensive part, and replacing it with an additional $10 part to make it just like the old cans were.

And people want these same gov bureaucrats who created this SNAFU to run my healthcare?  NOPE

• Like 5

i don't recall how much my one gal blitz cost, but this is what i did, after the (tethered cap broke off) took a long lenght of ethanol resistant fuel line threaded up to fill opening placed two heavy zip ties, then pulled it back to vent to the zip ties stopped it from from coming out, the cut a short pigtail ... no money spent!  works perfect , the one i should have done is painted it on 3 sides with one side not painted to see how much gas was getting mixed with 2 cycle oil. ... as you can see it's badly faded. my next can will be metal, some places (old parts stores) still have them in stock here. 

image.jpg

When Hurricane Katrina hit and gas went to $4/gallon, it caught me flat footed.

When Hurricane Rita came through I was watching it, and Dad called and asked how much gas I had on hand (this is when I was living in NW Arkansas). 

I was in Stillwater OK that day working.  I went to the local Walmart, got 4 Blitz cans which were right at $5 each (5 gal).  Filled them up there with that cheap Oklahoma gasoline.

My car reeked when I got home, but ever since that day I've always had gas on hand, and I now usually have between 50-80 gallons.

• Like 1