56Sierra

Weird 97 TRX300FW electrical issue. Warning lights bright.

This just happened on the mile.something trip back from Eagle viewing this morning.  Started normal, got to my driveway and saw the oil temp warning illuminate.  Lowered RPMs it dimmed and went out.  Shut bike off and no neutral light with the engine off but key on.  No brief oil temp light test of reverse light either.  No electric start.  Fuses good, battery voltage at rest 12.8.  Aux cooling fan works and IIRC headlights normal brilliance key on, engine off.  Kick starts just fine and then I see normal warning lights but they are only normal brilliance at idle.  Speed up the RPMs and they go very bright with the oil temp light following what it did before when I first noticed the problem.  Battery voltage is 13.6ish while running at a fast idle and supports the fan and headlight without dropping.  Regulator is a replacement OEM Honda part.

I'm about to dig into the wiring diagram to see what's obvious.  I do have the '95 that I can swap out parts but only do that as a last resort.

Any ideas?

In the famous words of Gilda Radnor, nevermind.  A fuse looked good but was open.  Problem fixed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm a little late on this but the 300 was known to corrode the terminals in the connectors just in front of the battery. I would inspect those first thing.

• Like 5

I have replaced the glass fuse holders on my 300s by soldering in blade style fuse holders with a water proof cover , had a lot of troubles with corrosion 

• Like 3