Jump to content
56Sierra

Need a rev limiter for the Trx300fw.

Recommended Posts

These bikes really do well in the midrange RPM but trying to explain that to an 14 yr old Grandkid that loves speed is not possible. 

I've seen tachs for these on ebay and Amazon but really want something to allow me to set the max RPM before the rev limiter kicks in.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

In the interim I did this.  Limit the throttle.   Kids gonna learn not to mess with the Old Man😳

20210425_175706.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

That limit bolt looks pretty good ------ looks like in the pic there is 0 throttle movement 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

These bikes really do well in the midrange RPM but trying to explain that to an 14 yr old Grandkid that loves speed is not possible. 

I've seen tachs for these on ebay and Amazon but really want something to allow me to set the max RPM before the rev limiter kicks in.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

I went the opposite way that you want to go , the stock 2nd and 3rd 300 CDIs have a built in rev limiter , they limit out at 6,000 rpms , I replaced the CDIs with Rick's which is no limit , they will turn up right over 7,000 rpms 

 

Seems the way you done it with the bolt threaded thru the side of the throttle assembly is as good as you could do 

 

If you are interested in knowing how many rpm it can turn  , a Tiny Tack is cheap and works 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
28 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I went the opposite way that you want to go , the stock 2nd and 3rd 300 CDIs have a built in rev limiter , they limit out at 6,000 rpms , I replaced the CDIs with Rick's which is no limit , they will turn up right over 7,000 rpms 

 

Seems the way you done it with the bolt threaded thru the side of the throttle assembly is as good as you could do 

 

If you are interested in knowing how many rpm it can turn  , a Tiny Tack is cheap and works 

I got a genuine Ricks for the Wife's '95 and was told by a tech there it bumped it up a grand. To be assured of getting the genuine unit I tried to order directly from Ricks  but they were out of stock.  They told me the vendor that sold their units so I took their advice and bought one.  She's almost as bad as the kids when it comes to going fast😳

 

Yeah, I think the throttle limiter will suffice for now.  I'm going to talk to an electronic genius buddy and see if he can design one that goes inline with the + wire to the coil.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, 56Sierra said:

I got a genuine Ricks for the Wife's '95 and was told by a tech there it bumped it up a grand. To be assured of getting the genuine unit I tried to order directly from Ricks  but they were out of stock.  They told me the vendor that sold their units so I took their advice and bought one.  She's almost as bad as the kids when it comes to going fast😳

 

Yeah, I think the throttle limiter will suffice for now.  I'm going to talk to an electronic genius buddy and see if he can design one that goes inline with the + wire to the coil.  

My wife's 300 is a 96 frame with a 90 engine , the first gens didn't have rev limiters , her bike screams and she isn't afraid to make it 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The only issue with the screw limiter is if your climbing a steep hill or or in a bad bind you can't get enough throttle even with lower rpms. In the past over in the UK they had limiters on them to make them street legal (farm use if I remember correctly). I bet if you called Ricks they would have an idea or could make something so it kills ignition through the CDI instead of restricting throttle. On the trx90 they used a gasket to restrict the intake port to limit them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...