jstatham

New Clutch not tight

Hey guys I just got new clutch disc ,metals, springs and bolted it up and the clutch disc aren't tight?  What am I missing and what would cause this.  1996 Foreman TRX400FW. Any help will be greatly appericated.

I would say you pinched the disc from being misaligned during assembly 

Loosen the 4 bolts holding the springs in place, wiggle the center part of the clutch and get it centered, and then retighten the bolts.  When the bolts are tight they should pull that center portion tight, but if you get the center part in a bind and tighten the bolts, it will let the clutch plates float.

I think I would take  the clutch  apart and check the friction disc for bent or scared up teeth after it was pinched , usually it doesn't damage them , but I have once bent the ends 

I removed the bolts on the springs and jiggled the pressure plate and got it to line up. When I put the bolts back it all tightened  up. I think the problem was the pressure plate was off an hair when I tightened it up.

Edited by jstatham

11 minutes ago, jstatham said:

I removed the bolts on the springs and jiggled the pressure plate and got it to line up. When I put the bolts back it all tightened  up. I think the problem was the pressure plate was off an hair when I tightened it up.

That's one of the most common mistakes people make putting these things back together. 

For some of us, we have to learn the lesson over and over again, and then when you think the lesson is learned, you get an engine back in the frame and realize you still didn't learn the lesson LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

That's one of the most common mistakes people make putting these things back together. 

For some of us, we have to learn the lesson over and over again, and then when you think the lesson is learned, you get an engine back in the frame and realize you still didn't learn the lesson LOL

haha..lord..i can't even guess how many times ( in the past ) that i put an engine all back together..only to find out it would not move ?!..lol. been there..done that !.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1