Jump to content
mac

TRX350FM display meter repair

Recommended Posts

Good afternoon,

 

New member.  Found this forum whilst researching a repair on my 2003 TRX350FM (badged as a Fourtrax here in the UK).  I'm hoping to contact @AKATV with a view to finding out if he can work his magic so I'm posting this here as I probably can't PM directly being a newbie.

 

My quad's (four wheeler) display doesn't have sun damage (not an issue here in England. . .) however it fails to display anything.  The backlight and warning LEDs work fine.  No visible signs of water damage and the PCB is pretty clean.  The only possible issue I can see are dry joints on the bottom left edge when viewing from the front, a resistor and diode marked R1 and ZD1 however I believe the real issue is probably the frequently mentioned EPROM loosing its programming.

P2060012.JPG

P2060013.JPG

P2060014.JPG

P2060010.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1 minute ago, shadetree said:

welcome to our forums, @AKATV

 

Thanks for the welcome and fixing the syntax.  It's been a few years since I used one of these forum things.  I've PM'd AKATV .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Looks like you might have a power issue on one line or possibly need reprogramming

Has this board ever functioned properly for you at all?

I replied to your message as well

-AKATV

 

 

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
25 minutes ago, mac said:

 

Thanks for the welcome and fixing the syntax.  It's been a few years since I used one of these forum things.  I've PM'd AKATV .

yw, he'll get you fixed up !.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
45 minutes ago, mac said:

Good afternoon,

 

New member.  Found this forum whilst researching a repair on my 2003 TRX350FM (badged as a Fourtrax here in the UK).  I'm hoping to contact @AKATV with a view to finding out if he can work his magic so I'm posting this here as I probably can't PM directly being a newbie.

 

My quad's (four wheeler) display doesn't have sun damage (not an issue here in England. . .) however it fails to display anything.  The backlight and warning LEDs work fine.  No visible signs of water damage and the PCB is pretty clean.  The only possible issue I can see are dry joints on the bottom left edge when viewing from the front, a resistor and diode marked R1 and ZD1 however I believe the real issue is probably the frequently mentioned EPROM loosing its programming.

P2060012.JPG

P2060013.JPG

P2060014.JPG

P2060010.JPG

my only concern here is..when did the trx350fm ranchers come with a meter/display ?, my understanding is nothing but the trx350es have the meter/display as far as i know here in the states ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

my only concern here is..when did the trx350fm ranchers come with a meter/display ?, my understanding is nothing but the trx350es have the meter/display as far as i know here in the states ?.

Meters were an available option for the non ES Rancher 350 models in US - rare to see one though.. 

Maybe standard on UK non ES models ?

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053dd7bf870021c54bdca6b/meter

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, AKATV said:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Looks like you might have a power issue on one line or possibly need reprogramming

Has this board ever functioned properly for you at all?

I replied to your message as well

-AKATV

 

 

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.  I'll respond to your PM but just to keep the post going - the display has never worked for either myself or the former owner, it presumably broke with the original owner.  I did test for 12v constant and ignition supply and it has both at the connector blocks on the display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, shadetree said:

my only concern here is..when did the trx350fm ranchers come with a meter/display ?, my understanding is nothing but the trx350es have the meter/display as far as i know here in the states ?.

Can't help with the answer on the US spec ones, but mine's certainly got one and it is original.  Interestingly the quad was made in the south of Carolina 😄 though.

P2060016.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
8 minutes ago, Goober said:

Is ZD a zener diode?

Yes the ZD stands for a zener diode

They do go bad quite often on there, especially on the water damaged ones or when the voltage regulators go bad-

-Which, coincidentally, also have diodes that go bad…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, AKATV said:

Meters were an available option for the non ES Rancher 350 models in US - rare to see one though.. 

Maybe standard on UK non ES models ?

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053dd7bf870021c54bdca6b/meter

yeah, i've never seen a manual shift trx350fm come with a meter/display, and i've hand my hands on a ton of them..lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 hours ago, mac said:

Can't help with the answer on the US spec ones, but mine's certainly got one and it is original.  Interestingly the quad was made in the south of Carolina 😄 though.

P2060016.JPG

very rare to have a fm model, spec made in usa !..come with a meter/display ?!..hold onto it..its worth a good penny !.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, shadetree said:

very rare to have a fm model, spec made in usa !..come with a meter/display ?!..hold onto it..its worth a good penny !.

I suspect it isn't rare in the UK.  The only thing that makes it somewhat rare is the green bodywork and very good condition, aside from a display that's presently only good for ballast 😄.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
37 minutes ago, mac said:

I suspect it isn't rare in the UK.  The only thing that makes it somewhat rare is the green bodywork and very good condition, aside from a display that's presently only good for ballast 😄.

haha..well..they don't sell many of those models here in the states that are manual shift models with a meter/display, least i've never seen a single one !?!..LOL. if you had to replace it ?, it will be very hard to find another one to fit that model ?, as its not very common at all to have a meter/display made for that model. they made tons of them for es ( electric shift ) models..but no fm/manaul shift models that i've ever seen to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Not too rare- the meter is still available for 199.99 new

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-HONDA-OEM-COMBINATION-METER-2000-2005-TRX350FM-RANCHER-37200-HN5-671-/203551177016?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

They are just hard to come across in the wild, as you had to have ordered it at dealer when purchased as an option. Or-you had to order all the pieces separately and install yourself.   You also have to install the sub harness and speed sensor etc, so its not plug and play when you get just the meter

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

It's a pity they don't ship to the UK, then again by the time I paid postage and import duty it would likely be nearer 400USD which is getting silly.  Honda stealers here have them listed for around £500 but apparently they are NLA.  I'm told these meters were standard fitment on Australian and Canadian models too although they'll read in kilometres (meters to you!) per hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

1st and 2nd pic on this post.  To me one side of the diode goes nowhere (no track on the PCB and no visible solder joint).

 

No I didn't test the resistor, mainly as I couldn't quite see the rings on it to identify it 😄.  I'll dig my old soldering kit out tomorrow as it has a magnifying glass on the soldering vice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Looks like you might have vaporized a circuit trace on the board

Its the one in the picture between the middle transistor leg and the resistor below it

I would check for continuity on the trace and if it is burned up(no continuity) -

when you replace the part you can run a simple jumper between the two parts

Alos ooks like you might be possibly missing a leg of the diode that is not not coming thru the board for some reason as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Okay, thanks for all the advice, if I can source the correct components I'll have a go at a repair.

 

I'm not sure how my last reply ended up on this thread instead of in the PM where it started!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, mac said:

Okay, thanks for all the advice, if I can source the correct components I'll have a go at a repair.

 

I'm not sure how my last reply ended up on this thread instead of in the PM where it started!

 

Better that it's here where we can see what's going on with your repair.  We're a curious bunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I am new to the site, I have a 04 rancher the screen is not working and I would like to see what steps I need to take to have you repair this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum!

When you say it’s not working what exactly is it doing?

If you could post a picture or two that would be very helpful particularly if it’s illuminated with your headlights turned on

I will send my contact information to your message box as well

Edited by AKATV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...