Fishfiles

Classic / Hot Rods / Trucks

2 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I think Jeepster Commando.

Think your right 

One of the things we love most about off-road events is that we get the chance to see lots of different vehicles. And by that we mean lots of different Jeeps. For instance, so far this year we've encountered everything from '40s flatties to 2020 Gladiators when out and about on the trails. We like them all, even YJs. However, we have to admit, we have always been especially fond of the Jeepster Commando. Kaiser started production of the Jeepster Commando (C-101) in 1966 as a nod to the original Jeepster produced by Willys-Overland. It was thankfully continued when AMC took over in 1970. The word Jeepster was dropped for the '72 model year, and it was known simply as the Commando (C-104). Although it was given 3 more inches (104) of wheelbase and a choice of an I-6 or V-8 option, enthusiasm for the redesigned body waned, and after the '73 model year it was a goner.

11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Think your right 

One of the things we love most about off-road events is that we get the chance to see lots of different vehicles. And by that we mean lots of different Jeeps. For instance, so far this year we've encountered everything from '40s flatties to 2020 Gladiators when out and about on the trails. We like them all, even YJs. However, we have to admit, we have always been especially fond of the Jeepster Commando. Kaiser started production of the Jeepster Commando (C-101) in 1966 as a nod to the original Jeepster produced by Willys-Overland. It was thankfully continued when AMC took over in 1970. The word Jeepster was dropped for the '72 model year, and it was known simply as the Commando (C-104). Although it was given 3 more inches (104) of wheelbase and a choice of an I-6 or V-8 option, enthusiasm for the redesigned body waned, and after the '73 model year it was a goner.

I remember that Jeep because my Grandfather took me shopping when he was looking at them.  He ended up buying a new 66 Bronco which he immediately took out and gave it a proper trail pinstripe job.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 6:34 PM, Fishfiles said:

Think your right 

The original Jeepster was a 2wd convertible (last of the Phaeton style made in the US). 

My grandfather bought one back in the 50's that my mom and uncle drove in high school.  He still had it when I was growing up, and that's what he used to teach me to drive.  He sold it when I was 14, and I threw a fit.  He said had it been original he would have kept it.  I found an all original in Belzoni MS for $3500, with the rare 6 cylinder.  He'd told me if I could find a decent deal on an all original, he would buy it.  With only about 20K of them made from 48-51, I think he figured it would be a tall order, and didn't realize how driven I can be.

Car from Belzoni was all original.  6 volt system, no windows (snap on side curtains), no heat, no radio.  Brakes were iffy, no brake lights.  But I drove that car all over the place for a couple of years.  Learned to park on hills so if the 6V wasn't enough to roll the starter over enough I could push it, get it rolling, jump in, put it into 2nd, and drop the clutch and start it that way.

When I got a little older and got interested in girls, I found that they wanted heat and a radio at a minimum.  Listed the Jeepster for sale and a doctor in Memphis bought it and planned to do a frame-off restoration on it.  I parked it at his place between a 57 Chevy convertible and a VW Thing, both of which looked like brand new cars.   "We" made about $1k on it, and my grandfather split the "profit" with me.  Of course, he didn't figure in any of the money he put into it, but I didn't realize that at the time.  I used that "profit" along with a loan to buy my first Jeep CJ7, which I still have.

Wish I'd kept the Jeepster now.  They're rare and the market on them has really gone up.  Of the 19K made, only about 2k had the 6 cylinder.  3 on the tree with cable operated OD on the dash. 

That's me on the back in the original Jeepster my mom drove when she was in high school. Probably 1980ish

jackandkidsjeepster.jpg  

Me with the "new" Jeepster when I was in high school.

Jeepster.jpg   

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Dang can you imagine trying to tune that?

My friend Ricky D   had a 70 Challenger with 3 deuces of it , he said it was a nightmare ,  said the carbs would over flow and fill the engine with gas >>>>>>   5 carbs would be totally chaios --- 

I think that with 5 carbs  flowing , you would  measure gallons per mile , like 1.5 gallons per 1 mile