2015 rancher

es problems

I know this subject has gone on for years but it finally happened to my 2015 rancherI it was shifting fine then i had to use the tool for the first time because it stopped shifting.I found a code 23 in the gear shift section of display which is shift angle sensor.Replaced it and it was fine for five minutes and now it won't shift again.Seems like it screwes up when it gets hot.I also cleaned out the grease.It sat in storage unit for three years also.I can't afford to have someone fix this so all the hel would be deeply appreciated.It's showing a dash mark instead of gear numbers but if i shut it down it might show up.It's never the same on what it does.

where did you purchase the angle sensor from ?..ebay ?..as they sell a lot of china parts. always buy/install oem parts from a honda dealer. did you test the electric shift motor ?, if its weak , bad ?, it wont shift very good. is the battery fully charged ?, electric shifts must have a fully charged battery to shift right.

battery is new but it is a ebay part.I just put it in reverse and that's all i had.Even with the tool there isn't any numbers showing just a dash.

Did you replace the grease you cleaned out? You should have with synthetic grease.

Did you clean and dielectric grease all electrical connections in the harness? You really need to, to rule out problems which requires removal of all plastics.

Did you properly align the reduction gear?

Angle sensor needs to be properly aligned with flat spot on end of shift spindle also.

@retro has a post in electronics section titled, How to properly prep Honda ES shift system, check it out and follow it.

I recently fixed an ES system that was throwing angle sensor codes and I did a complete check and cleaning of the shift system with great results and didn't need to replace angle sensor.

I also went through another ES system on my own machine that wasn't giving me trouble and it shifts better than ever.

I bet if you take the time to thoroughly go over your entire ES system it will work better than before.

Hang on to that OEM sensor you replaced and you may find there's nothing wrong with it, manual has directions on testing it.

If you need a service manual they are available on this site at top of page.

I replaced it with white lithium grease and cleaned all my connecters with electrical spray and electrical goop.Seems like everytime i take it apart it will work for a few minutess then it has a mind of it's own.I hate computers,wish i bought a foot shift.

1 minute ago, 2015 rancher said:

I replaced it with white lithium grease and cleaned all my connecters with electrical spray and electrical goop.Seems like everytime i take it apart it will work for a few minutess then it has a mind of it's own.I hate computers,wish i bought a foot shift.

I'm sure the sensor went in right since it was shifting fine for awhile then started getting dash marks instead of gear showing.