cdrdr

Looking for hondamatic transmission

Hello all, I have a 2004 Honda rancher 400 with the hondamatic transmission which is going out, it’s going to cost me over 2500$, is there anyone here who can rebuild it or sell me a reconditioned transmission? Please help!

48 minutes ago, cdrdr said:

Hello all, I have a 2004 Honda rancher 400 with the hondamatic transmission which is going out, it’s going to cost me over 2500$, is there anyone here who can rebuild it or sell me a reconditioned transmission? Please help!

cdrdr , welcome to the site 

I think you set the record for most multiple same post in different categories 

The Hondamatics are not rebuildable by Honda's guidelines --------  I hear there is a guy who knows a guy who did it before and a guy ( @jeepwm69 ) that is a member of this site knows who he is , but Honda doesn't sell parts for them and seems I remember if certain parts are bad , like the bearing ,  there is no remedy  -----  thing I would do is sell that 400 you got there  for parts and buy another atv >>>>   it is a disposable world we live in 

To buy used is an option , but you don't know how long a use one will last and I bet it won't come cheap 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdrdr said:

@Brian Bertram has successfully rebuilt them.  I'm not sure how often he's on here, but I'm tagging him.

If you don't get ahold of him, you might try calling Powersportsnation.  At one time they listed rebuild Rubicon engines that claimed to have rebuilt hondamatics in them.  Not sure if they were rebuilding them in house or sending them out.

But hopefully Brian will chime in, as I have a couple of "status unknown" rubicons to tear into and I will have questions for him.

There is a Honda proprietary bearing in there that is sort of an odd size.  I think Brian and Harig who used to post on HF.com both figured out a replacement for that bearing, but it requires some customization/ machining to get it to the right size.

• Like 1

Brian posted this on an old Hondamatic thread.  Looks like it has his email address.

Try it and let us know what response you get.

55 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

@Brian Bertram has successfully rebuilt them.  I'm not sure how often he's on here, but I'm tagging him.

If you don't get ahold of him, you might try calling Powersportsnation.  At one time they listed rebuild Rubicon engines that claimed to have rebuilt hondamatics in them.  Not sure if they were rebuilding them in house or sending them out.

But hopefully Brian will chime in, as I have a couple of "status unknown" rubicons to tear into and I will have questions for him.

There is a Honda proprietary bearing in there that is sort of an odd size.  I think Brian and Harig who used to post on HF.com both figured out a replacement for that bearing, but it requires some customization/ machining to get it to the right size.

Tried calling them they don’t rebuild only transmissions only full engines and transmissions 

I havent seen Brian around here in along time, jeep have any idea if he's still around here, and if he's still rebuilds them ? 

I got ahold oh him via email, he says he does still rebuild them depending on the issue 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1