Greg

2003 350 rancher es not starting

I have a 2003 Honda 350 Rancher ES just started acting up when you turn the key on nothing comes on the display change the battery thinking it was the battery still does it but then all of a sudden it came on and it started up and ran fine and then here is a picture of what it started doing the only way I can get it started is with the pull start and then the dash display is kind of like going nuts the neutral lights on the reverse lights dim and on but as soon as you shut it off then you can't start it with electric start you have to pull start it the display kind of flickers the speedometer numbers Jump Around while it's sitting still

20221218_153738.jpg

First thing I think of is the connection of the  negative battery cable at the starter and frame 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you checked the fuses, all of them? If you have a meter put it on the battery cables/terminals and get some voltage readings running and just sitting there.

I have checked the fuses all of them are good I can get it started by turning the key to the on position and pull starting it then my display shows up on the instrument panel but it seems like it's running off the stator only as you rev it up the display will flicker on and off depending on how fast your revving it and then when you let off the throttle the display goes away

4 hours ago, Greg said:

I haven't checked that yet but I'm not too sure on how to do that

Either use a 12 volt test light or a multimeter , turn on the ignition ( key on ) and check each fuse for voltage 

A battery can show 12 volts and still be no good , it could not hold a load .... how old is the battery in the atv ?   

Did you check the connection of the battery cables , especially at the crankcase , seen corrosion at the bolt before 

Voltage regulator might be a problem 

• Like 1

100% what Fishfiles said above

Last time I saw a speedometer do this was on a Rancher 350 running with no battery installed, put battery in and speedometer went back to normal

Stray voltages will make these speedometers go haywire

Double check your battery connections and your voltage regulator like Fish said

Let us know what you find

-AKATV

• Like 1

Okay I have tested each fuse in the fuse block the starter solenoid/ relay I have a DC tester light that lights up red when positive and green on negative solenoid relay test green on negative and red on positive the fuses the two 30 amp fuses which are the motor and the main they they show red the two 10 amps are showing a green light which that is ignition and accessories and the two 15 amp fuses show a green light when testing one's the fan and the other one is for the lights I'm not much of a electrician just know a few of the basics kind of a loss here what's causing it like I said it will start when you pull start it and runs but the meter just jumps all over the place lights flicker also is your revving at the engine seems as the lights don't flicker as much and the meter wants to just kind of stay on but the display is all jumbled up not reading right help my texting is not too confusing

Check your battery voltage with your four wheeler off

Then check your four wheeler battery voltage with it running at about 1/3 throttle  it should be 13 to 14 1/2 V or so but not over 15 

If your battery voltage is the same when it’s running as when its off, then your voltage regulator is not working properly

If it checks out,then your voltage regulator is good, if it doesn’t check out then your voltage regulator could be causing your issues

Let us know what you find out

Think I might have found a problem going to mess with it tomorrow I moved the battery around a little bit and it was making the voltage regulator move a little bit and it would make the display and everything start working correctly again on the meter and everything was working fine so I think I got a bad connection on the voltage regulator or possibly it's shorting out somewhere should be an easy fix from here on out I hope I appreciate all you guys helping me out you guys are awesome

Sounds like you’ve got it narrowed down

let us know how it goes

take care and Happy Holidays!