claude

Weird issue

Have a 2002 500 foreman rubicon my niece overheated it I got it home and when I put it in gear it would make a noise the tires would try to move but it would not. Help

Is the noise a grinding (ish) loudest at the front left side of the motor? How is the oil level?

Welcome to ATVHonda forum ---

Do you know that the Rubicon is a Hondamatic , Honda made the Hondamatic to be a disposable unit ,  Honda sells no parts for repairing the Hondamatic , a new unit is  $1.800 without tax and labor to install it --- so being your atv is 21 years old , if there is anything much more than the oil level wrong , is it really worth spending any money or time on it 

I am no Hondamatic expert , but running hot ,  grinding noise , and no travel   sound like pump failure ---- 

I hope Toodeep can get something going for you 

Welcome aboard @claude

Honda considers the Hondamatic non-serviceable.  That said, there are at least two guys who have successfully rebuilt them.  One is a member here, @Brian Bertram.  He doesn't check in much, but his contact info is in this thread.

I'd contact him and see what he tells you.  The early 01-02 Hondamatics had crappy oil pumps that would kill the Hondamatic.  In the later models failures are rare. 

I will say DON"T RUN IT until you talk to Brian.  If the oil pump is kaput you'll ruin the whole engine running it without oil (if you haven't already).

How handy are you with a wrench?  I've got a 2012 Rubicon torn down now in my shop, oil pump chain jumped off, but the Hondamatic still turns over smoothly so Brian told me to run it.  Thread is here if you want to see what you're in for if you decide to try to fix it.

• Like 2