darrengee

Rancher display needs repair. AKATV

Hello all.  I am new to this forum.  I have a 2006 Rancher 350 4x4 es.  The display is similar to several others on here.  This machine has been mostly kept in garage when not riding it.  This screen was fine the last time it was ridden.  It has been stored for a while due to carb issues.   Have that fixed and know this on the screen.  Any suggestions?  I have partially disassembled to look into, but chickened out once I pulled the display off the board and separated the clear bezel on the back.  I can see the issue is closer to the front surface of the display, but not sure how to proceed or if I should. 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

sg1973

20230827_174452.jpg

20230827_174930.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You definitely have some ultraviolet/sun damage to your polarization films and back light filter

- possibly a little moisture intrusion or water damage as well

I will send my contact information to your message box

AKATV

Welcome to the forum! 

Probably not a good idea to put your phone number on an open thread but that’s up to you.

I’ll send my contact information to your message box as well

AKATV

Just now, Mistressmotorsports said:

It’s all over the web Facebook etc , what’s a forum gonna hurt lol

Welcome to the forum !!!  >>>>>>  Messaging you about your extended warranty !!!! LOL

• Like 1

I edited out your phone number just to be on the safe side.  I assume you two have communicated by now?

Yes, we are in touch, Thanks Jeep!

Edited by AKATV

Could I get a quote to fix this, or is it I fixable, took it apart a little and you can feel bumps in the upper layer of the display, I think water got in

IMG_0504.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

Remove the top cover and post another picture. I’m curious to see if you have any water damage on your circuit card and if you can see anything as far as writing or digits on the display?

I will send my contact information to your message box as well

AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Hi, Welcome to the forum!

Contact information has been sent to your message box

Hope to see you around!

AKATV

So does anyone on here have a recommendation on where to buy the polarizing film and back light filter material to fix these issues without sending it off?  TIA

Just now, sg1973 said:

So does anyone on here have a recommendation on where to buy the polarizing film and back light filter material to fix these issues without sending it off?  TIA

AKATV would probably tell you where to buy the stuff, but if you break anything while doing it, you're hosed.  No replacement parts are available.  He is very reasonable on price, and he had my 420 meter back to me in less than a week, including shipping both ways.  You can mail it USPS priority so doesn't cost much to send it either way.

54 minutes ago, sg1973 said:

I’ve had 2 meters by come in this week that have had damaged glass from users trying to remove the baked on polarization film and epoxy and cracked the thin LCD contact edges destroying the LCD glass it only takes one small Nick and it won’t display properly
The glass cannot be repaired and must be replaced, and adds a whole new level of sadness, money wise to the repair
Most repairers are using cheap China peel and stick polarization and after about 3 to 12 months in the sun it ends up bubbling, peeling, or lifting from the LCD due to the heat, then you end up having to pay for the second repair all over again

I’ve been repairing a lot of “previously worked on” speedometers the last three months…they seem to show up once the summer heat kicks in

The polarization film that I apply to the LCD glass is put on with LOCA adhesive, which is liquid, optically clear adhesive the cures under UV light.
I put it in a vacuum chamber to draw all the air and bubbles out before it cures

it’s the same process done at the factory when they originally build the LCD component.

it’s a bulletproof repair and I warranty my work 100%

-AKATV

20 hours ago, AKATV said:

I’ve had 2 meters by come in this week that have had damaged glass from users trying to remove the baked on polarization film and epoxy and cracked the thin LCD contact edges destroying the LCD glass it only takes one small Nick and it won’t display properly
The glass cannot be repaired and must be replaced, and adds a whole new level of sadness, money wise to the repair
Most repairers are using cheap China peel and stick polarization and after about 3 to 12 months in the sun it ends up bubbling, peeling, or lifting from the LCD due to the heat, then you end up having to pay for the second repair all over again

I’ve been repairing a lot of “previously worked on” speedometers the last three months…they seem to show up once the summer heat kicks in

The polarization film that I apply to the LCD glass is put on with LOCA adhesive, which is liquid, optically clear adhesive the cures under UV light.
I put it in a vacuum chamber to draw all the air and bubbles out before it cures

it’s the same process done at the factory when they originally build the LCD component.

it’s a bulletproof repair and I warranty my work 100%

-AKATV

I pretty much do EVERYTHING myself, with very few exceptions. 

Sometimes you're better off sending it to someone who knows how to do it.

Now were I repairing meters every few months, I might try to do it myself, but for ONE meter?  Why take the chance at breaking it?

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I can repair your speedometer to like new condition 

I will send my contact information to your message box

AKATV