Alex03

Painting plastics

Even although my old Fourtrax (same as Rancher) is mechanically sound the plastics are getting a bit worn looking. Has anybody ever painted the plastics and if so what did you use and was it successful.  

2 hours ago, Alex03 said:

Even although my old Fourtrax (same as Rancher) is mechanically sound the plastics are getting a bit worn looking. Has anybody ever painted the plastics and if so what did you use and was it successful.  

Hi Alex , welcome to the forum !!

I have painted my plastics -----  I have done it a couple of ways ,  I used 220 sand paper with a DA sander  to scuff them up then some grease and wax remover on a rag before painting with Rustoleum 2x plastic paint ------ other method I used was a scuff pad , gloves and some Liquid Sand Paper to take the sheen off then paint with the 2X Plastic Rustoleum ----   

Depending on how you use your wheeler, and how bad your plastics are, I wouldn't paint them. 

I drive in the woods and brush a lot, and paint gets scratched up a and flakes off, showing the color underneath.

What color are your fenders?

Thanks for the replies. The plastics are fairly good but just look old and dull. I am going to give a plastic paint a try and if it scratches and flakes it will not really matter.

3 minutes ago, Alex03 said:

Thanks for the replies. The plastics are fairly good but just look old and dull. I am going to give a plastic paint a try and if it scratches and flakes it will not really matter.

Get some Wipe New and try it first.  It will bring the shine back and it will stay for awhile.  Cheap and easy to do too.

Before

350 Rancher before.JPG

After

350 Rancher after.jpeg

350 rancher after 2.jpeg

The Wipe New makes your machine look wet all the time, but it's not greasy and doesn't wash off quickly like tire wet will.

I actually just ordered some more to do the tan fenders for the Rubicon I've been rebuilding.  I stripped the camo off (it was already heavily peeled in a lot of places) and that process left the plastics really chalky and dull. 

I'll post some before/after pics of that one as soon as the Wipe New arrives.  Used to be able to get it a Walmart but they don't have it anymore so had to order it on Amazon.

So Wipe New isn’t as good as it used it be.

Used to be a small bottle of stuff.  Now you get individually wrapped towels pre treated with the stuff.  I ordered on Amazon and they refunded me, but thus far out of three of the six towels, one was completely dried out, one was barely moist, and the third was damp. 

So I’m hoping that all 6 towels will let me put 2 coats on these fenders. 

I used to get 2-3 wheelers out of a bottle of Wipe New, now with the wipes will be lucky to get one wheeler done.

It’s good stuff in the bottle, but doesn’t look like they sell it that way any more

Top pic is after, bottom is before 

1F2638C8-D2FB-4E0B-A777-08D6E575FE32.jpeg

12D6CA58-A066-4F68-AB01-61782220A473.jpeg

• Like 2

Plan it so put another coat on after work today, then once they're installed on the bike, I'll hose it down with SC1 and it should look awesome.

The SC1 works really well for a temporary shine, but you need something like Wipe New to keep a little gloss to them after the SC1 washes off.

Is that kinda like what @Goober has spoken of many times ? That 3 step novus plastic polish ? I have another type i use also, but it's in the shop, i can't think of the brand at the moment ... But I'll look later today..

I recently painted this 450  gas tank plastic cover red , it was a green one 

Uxr38gWdSdeUX3b6F5Umdw.jpg

2nd coat yesterday.

Out of 6 wipes, two were wet, two were barely damp, and two were dried out. 

Really stinks that you can’t get wipe new in a bottle anymore

DD6B2531-5295-4542-8922-D2BBE29AA482.jpeg

47C193DA-9902-4B91-8C56-DA013463CB77.jpeg

B3A527C7-B17C-4975-9925-F199BD61C4B2.jpeg