Freedomflyer

Actually riding!!!!!

Well, the long awaited day has come and unfortunately gone.

My buddy PROV showed up this last Friday from Minnesota with his wife. It was a sweet reunion and so grateful he made the long trek out with his bride. The time passed too quickly,  and was a great privilege to have them in our home. Our time on the trail on Saturday was amazing and the  weather couldn't have been more perfect. Where we chose to ride was perfect for his wife as she was a bit apprehensive. Fortunately my wife broke the ice quickly upon their arrival Friday afternoon so she was able to relax and not have to worry that she was going to be chopped to pieces by a family of axe murderers out on one of the trails somewhere. The next morning, along with my wife, my two sister-in-laws helped ease her into the company of our family. Thank you Vickie and Val!!!! The area we chose to ride is generally much smoother and less technical, but due to a good reason Friday night the was some washed out areas down the middle of some of the trails making things a bit more technical. Pretty sure our 570 Outlander Max made her riding experience more enjoyable, pleasant,  and much more relaxing for her. With the rain storm the previous night, we weren't sure what to expect on the trails on Saturday. Everyone invited showed up promptly and we left town at the exact scheduled time. We actually arrived at the trailhead an hour away, 10 min. earlier than expected, unloaded and were driving through our first 50" gate before 8 a.m. Much to the chagrin of my wife, (and brother, (he has a brand new '23 Outlander Max XT 850 with 28 miles on it) the first 3 miles were filled with a lot of puddles and an extremely muddy road. The meticulously cleaned machines were quickly and immediately dirty, flinging chunks and  lods 20 feet in front of each machine as we headed fire our first stop. Kind of weird for us to get rain this time of year, but was nice because it kept the dust curbed down on the trails for 90% of the day. We arrived at the ringing rocks,  (I know I've shared info about them before but here it goes again) they are a formation of rocks looking as if they were dumped into a huge pile by the world's largest imaginable mining truck. The way these rocks are sitting makes them look not only precarious, but as if they truly were piled by gigantic earth moving equipment or aliens. They look like any other granite boulder, but due to the way they are sitting, when struck with a hammer or metal object they sound like you are pounding on different chunks of metal. Only like 3 places in the world that these exist. One here, one in Pennsylvania, and one in Australia. Was great to see PROV, and my cousin who had never been there before climbing around like a couple of kids hitting the different rocks. It really does kind of bring out the kid in a person seeing them for the first time. 

We left ringing rocks and got onto some sandy, winding, twisting trails through some Rocky Mountain Juniper trees loaded with Truck sized boulders. Driving up and over a final little rise, we dropped down into a beautiful little park full of Quaking Aspens and a few Pine trees. Took a bathroom and butt break there, then upon leaving, immediately dropped into some old growth pine, a great shaded area to drive through. One of the pictures shows the sun shining through  the trees in that area. From there we worked our way down through the trees to the bottom of a draw where it ended up at a large rock formation and a creek bottom. Taking another visiting break. We explored a bit and crossed the creek to an old mine entrance that we had found on a previous ride. Would love to know what was mined there, guessing gold as it was fairly close to the creek. So maybe somebody did some Placer mining and found some deposits so decided to dig into the hillside. Very cool area. Followed the creek out to one of the main roads and made our way up to another trail with a totally different landscape. It opens up and allows a view of some distant mountains with she and Rocky Mountain Junipers in the foreground. We then dropped back down into another draw with another creek with a bridge almost big enough to get our six machines on. We crossed the bridge and made our way to a shaded area for some lunch. After lunch headed to one of our favorite areas to take new comers which is a culvert that goes under the interstate to an area that overlooks the road and the whole Pipestone riding area. Took another break and visited then decided it was time to drive the last hour back to the trucks. Only got up to about 80° and the trail never did totally dry out so made the ride rather pleasant. Was only a total of about 28 miles but I think it was a good choice for PROVS wife, she said she enjoyed it and might even come back out.😁 Just as long as she doesn't have to go over the Beartooth highway again.😂 It really is beautiful but was a bit much for her vertigo, she wasn't feeling too good by the time they reached the top, I felt bad for her. All in all was a wonderful,  but too short of visit, with our friends. We are looking forward to growing our friendship and more future adventures. Thanks PROV, and Mrs. PROV, for sharing part of your vacation with us. 

On Sun we took another ride, this one in my wifes car, and toured the valley showing a couple of projects that I'm writing on for work, then a scenic dive on some back mountain highways. Was another great day of visiting  and fellowship.

And believe or not. ALL 6 Can Ams made it back without a hitch😁

20230826_081651.jpg

20230826_084156.jpg

20230826_084537.jpg

20230826_084609.jpg

20230826_084824.jpg

20230826_090231.jpg

20230826_094423.jpg

20230826_094534.jpg

20230826_094610.jpg

20230826_094714.jpg

20230827_075555.jpg

20230826_081651.jpg

20230826_084156.jpg

20230826_084537.jpg

20230826_084609.jpg

20230826_084824.jpg

20230826_085318.jpg

20230827_075932.jpg

20230826_094423.jpg

20230826_094534.jpg

20230826_094610_remastered.jpg

20230827_075555.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice pictures as always , looks like you'll had fun .... I have seen the singing rocks on a TV show , forgot what makes them ring  are they metallic  ? 

No, rock containf some metals but we have a lot of rock and soil here that contain iron. Montana is known for all types of mining and different ores in the soil as well as highly valuable metals. We have some gems called yogo saffires that are native tothis area and are very expensive. There are chunks of rock around the ringing rocks where people have tried to take them, once removed from the pile it just becomes like any other rock. Sad folks can't just can't leave things alone. In fact the sign explaining about the rocks is even gone. Not sure if it is being replaced or someone just took it. That whole area is changing, someone opened up a side x side rental business right next to the exit and the trails are getting torn to shreds. They rent to tourists traveling through that.have no clue what they are doing and have no trail etiquette of any kind and are just rude. In fact we met a couple of sides one too wide for the trail we were on and some gal in a rented 4 place side x side, we moved off the trail to allow them to pass and she yelled at my brother to give her more room. Someone else has built a camp ground/cabin rental, just ruining the area. 

Screenshot_20230829_063810_Google.jpg

Edited by Freedomflyer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

No, rock containf some metals but we have a lot of rock and soil here that contain iron. Montana is known for all types of mining and different ores in the soil as well as highly valuable metals. We have some gems called yogo saffires that are native tothis area and are very expensive. There are chunks of rock around the ringing rocks where people have tried to take them, once removed from the pile it just becomes like any other rock. Sad folks can't just can't leave things alone. In fact the sign explaining about the rocks is even gone. Not sure if it is being replaced or someone just took it. That whole area is changing, someone opened up a side x side rental business right next to the exit and the trails are getting torn to shreds. They rent to tourists traveling through that.have no clue what they are doing and have no trail etiquette of any kind and are just rude. In fact we met a couple of sides one too wide for the trail we were on and some gal in a rented 4 place side x side, we moved off the trail to allow them to pass and she yelled at my brother to give her more room. Someone else has built a camp ground/cabin rental, just ruining the area. 

Hate to hear that.  I've noticed that the SXS's really tear up the trails.  Much heavier than an ATV, and I can go through the same place 100 times on my Foreman and do less damage than one pass by my FIL on his Can Am Defender.

People who aren't part of the hobby tend to not be a good thing.  It's a catch 22, as you want people to be interested in the sport, but they need to know proper etiquette and safety.

A lot like the shooting sports.  People with no knowledge showing up to shoot with no direction usually isn't a good thing.

• Like 2

We are on the road and about 300 miles from home yet. We can't thank Freedom Flyer, his wife and family enough for the GREAT time. As predicted, when our wives met, within 10 minutes I was sitting in a chair in the living room and was forgotten. 😊  I will add to this thread when I get home and straighten out. 

I will leave you with one parting thought: After 2 trips with a total of about 66 miles in challenging terrain it is indisputably the best 2-up machine out there. I have had a Honda since 1985 and my next one may very well be Can-Am. No matter whether you have Honda, Yamaha or Can-Am, independent suspension and power steering cannot be beat. A straight axle would barely make it through where we have been or been anywhere near as comfortable.

IMG_20230826_141140923_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

After all the great pictures that FF posted I have a few to add. It was a good day.

IMG_20230826_132608452_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230826_111242123.jpg

IMG_20230826_100949563_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230826_083200482_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230826_105504002_HDR.jpg

• Like 4