walhonding300

"Daily Driver" 300FW

1 hour ago, SuperATV said:

Yep, good point on the wheel fitment. 

Here's the official fitment chart for the REAR brake kit. 

Fitment:

• Honda 4x4 Utility ATV's with a 12" or larger wheel and rear drum brakes

Does NOT Fit:

• Models with drum brakes on swing arm
  • 2x4 Models
  • 2014+ 420 Models
  • 2014+ 500 Models

Here's the front hydraulic kit. 

Front Disc Brake Kit

Fitment: 

• Honda Foreman 400 4x4 : All Years
  • Honda Foreman 450 4x4 : All Years
  • Honda Rancher 350 4x4 : All Years
  • Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 : All Years
  • Honda Rincon 650 4x4 : All Years
  • Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 : 1992-1999

NOTE:

• Can be used on 12" steel wheel or larger
  • If you have OEM aluminum wheels this kit will NOT wor

Hmmmmm.  The 05-06 500TM uses the exact same rear end that the 05-11 Foreman 500 4x4, the 01-14 Rubicon, the 450 and 400 Foreman do.  That would be one exception, but not many of those were made.

That said, the 2wd 350 Ranchers were the same setup as well.

I think the bolt pattern on the 350A and 350D Fourtrax and Foreman was the same as the newer models.   Is that all that's really needed to make that rear brake kit work (the proper bolt pattern on the end of an axle tube out by the wheel)?

@Fishfiles I know you have a rear conversion on one of your 450's.  I know you have some BR250 rears in your 300's.  You have a 350D rear end in any of the 300's?

16 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

@walhonding300 sorry if we're cluttering up your thread a bit.  Want me to split this brake talk off into its own subject?

Not at all.  I am actually learning a bit along the way.  Having some understanding of how Honda has some interchangeable parts on different machines from different years is interesting to me.

I have a neighbor (beef farmer) that go through ATV's like they are on lease lol.  Run them til they something breaks then just get a new one.  I have always noticed they drive Honda's mostly.  I am told that they have a boneyard somewhere.  Might be a great place for me to go scavenge for parts.  Knowing other machines I can pull from will be really beneficial.

Edited by walhonding300
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I think the bolt pattern on the 350A and 350D Fourtrax and Foreman was the same as the newer models.   Is that all that's really needed to make that rear brake kit work (the proper bolt pattern on the end of an axle tube out by the wheel)?

That could be it!  Not positive though.  Its been a looooong time since those non-fitments were recorded.  I'm sure it could be made to work pretty easily.  Its a very basic conversion. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 3:03 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Hmmmmm.  The 05-06 500TM uses the exact same rear end that the 05-11 Foreman 500 4x4, the 01-14 Rubicon, the 450 and 400 Foreman do.  That would be one exception, but not many of those were made.

That said, the 2wd 350 Ranchers were the same setup as well.

@Fishfiles I know you have a rear conversion on one of your 450's.  I know you have some BR250 rears in your 300's.  You have a 350D rear end in any of the 300's?

the bolt pattern is the same as most all of honda's today. think about this for a min: i used 2003 honda foreman 12 inch rims on a 1989 trx350D front end so i could use the high lifter brake kit, sooooooo...bottom line...the bolt pattern is the same from 1989 to 2003.

5 minutes ago, shadetree said:

the bolt pattern is the same as most all of honda's today. think about this for a min: i used 2003 honda foreman 12 inch rims on a 1989 trx350D front end so i could use the high lifter brake kit, sooooooo...bottom line...the bolt pattern is the same from 1989 to 2003.

I’m talking about the bolt pattern on the brake backing plate where it attaches to the axle tube.  I have parts laying around the shop. Will try to see how a 350 D backing plate matches up to a 500 foreman axle tube.  

I’m thinking that the rear brake conversion would work on a 300 if someone has done a 350D rear end swap

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I’m talking about the bolt pattern on the brake backing plate where it attaches to the axle tube.  I have parts laying around the shop. Will try to see how a 350 D backing plate matches up to a 500 foreman axle tube.  

I’m thinking that the rear brake conversion would work on a 300 if someone has done a 350D rear end swap

ahh..yeah...not sure about the bolt pattern on the axle tube to brake backing plate ?. i '' think '' they are the same ?, let us know !.

• Like 1

Where is the best place to buy Bronco shocks?  I plan on replacing all 3 but I am going to start with the fronts first.  Seems as if they are recommended as the best, reasonably priced option.

And, if I wanted a good, cheaper option, are there any recommendations?  Thanks.

Edited by walhonding300

Another quick question...

What process and paint are folks using to redo their rims?  I'd like to sandblast but I don't have one.  Are you priming?  Finishing?  How many coats?  I would prefer to get it right the first time even if it takes a little more work.

25 minutes ago, walhonding300 said:

Another quick question...

What process and paint are folks using to redo their rims?  I'd like to sandblast but I don't have one.  Are you priming?  Finishing?  How many coats?  I would prefer to get it right the first time even if it takes a little more work.

Do you have the means to break the wheels and tires down?  I have a harbor freight tire changer that works fine for most ATV sized wheels.  I find it much easier to deal with rims without tires. 

Steel wool or sandpaper, prime, paint.  Blasting would be nice, but like you, I don’t have a sandblaster

• Like 1

Ill toss in too... i did mine... but not with paint i went with plast-dip bright aluminum..... thats the closest match to impost magnesium... i could find, never did find the real import magnesium shade.... thats if your looking for oem colors .. although im not sure which models had import magnesium color used on the bikes... the trick with plast-dip is longer it cures the stronger it gets, and never use anything with patrolium products to clean them... i use only dawn or viniger. I recon 8 years going ? No problem what so ever... brush, limbs,  mud, but no rocks..... no flaking peeling or fading... sheds muck good to..... i think someone else here did that too but didnt have good luck because sand dune riding...... ten plus thin coats .. then about 5 thin coats of the fade buster. 

IMG_8753.PNG

• Like 1

The plast-dip looks like new OEM.  I will keep that in mind.  Probably use a self-etching primer?  I did the racks with tractor enamel.  If I don't use the plast-dip, I will use the tractor enamel on the rims also.

I may pick up one of those HF tire changers.  That looks pretty slick and a lot easier than all the other methods I he used to change tires at home.  

• Like 1

Thank you! No primer needed.....i dont think plasti-dip works with anything sept its own brand ... just keep in mind NO patrolium products....and if ya mess up shooting it, wd-40 is a instant desolver if ya can peel it off also i forgot to tell ya the plasti-dip color is called bright aluminum .... and the clear coat is called fade buster.... you dont have to use the fade buster.. the reason i did was because being that was my 1st time i didnt know actully how durable plast-dip is... the longer it cures .... I got go... ill post more when i get back cause theres also one or two more types of rubber coatings that work purdy good, but for the oem look .... thats the closest ive was able to find..... i would like to get my hands on the original import mag... but what i have seen dang stuff must have gold in it.... lol luck on your project and ill be tuned in...... paint me gone........

IMG_8754.JPG

On 2/8/2024 at 10:21 AM, walhonding300 said:

The plast-dip looks like new OEM.  I will keep that in mind.  Probably use a self-etching primer?  I did the racks with tractor enamel.  If I don't use the plast-dip, I will use the tractor enamel on the rims also.

Yeah..... good call... i would (implement paint) too Jeeps used implement paint.... i have too but just on turning plow ripper and chisels shanks... when it fully cures its really a durable tough coating, much tougher then plasti-dip.. just noting that fact. and jeep could advise you better about implement paint, than i could... i know hes never said one word about having issues of it flaking or coming off for any reason that i recall ? 

The other coatings, are Plastic-Kate ⬅️ (Never used it on rims)  and in the image........ Elasti-Wrap is coating the trailer wheel and Plast-Dip Bright Aluminum + PB Fade Buster is coating the Xj Jeep wheel..... the defrence is Very Clear And nether of the three are compatible  but by far plasti-dip has the most color and over coating option from clear coats to sure grip to metal flake... have any questions ill do my best to help ya out .... make er look good chief 👌👍😁

IMG_8757.PNG

I like the tractor supply implement paint.  Works best if you use a spray gun and put hardener in it, but the rattle cans are pretty good too.

Of course, you're very limited as to what colors you can get in the implement paint, at least from TSC.   I paint all my wheels black, so it works great for my needs.

• Like 1