walhonding300

Truck Question

After atv's, I am assuming the folks here know a lot about trucks also lol...

I have a 2015 Silverado with the electric steering.  The steering seems, recently, to be softer.  Maybe the smallest amount of play but it does have 128,000 miles.  Everything under the truck is still tight and it still tracks pretty straight.  The tires are old and I do need new ones.  I have no experience with the electric steering so I do not know how aging would feel with it.  Maybe an alignment but if it drifts in the slightest, it is not specific to one side.  Any input would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Might be a long shot, but i just watched a 'garage' show on tv last night where they had a Chevy HHR with no PS. Ended up being a service bulletin on the electric steering system & they had to replace the steering column. Have you looked online for any GM service bulletins related to your truck?

• Like 2

wal', I was a Ford guy coming up as a kid when I never knew any better , then when I grew up and achieved some sense , I became a  Dodge guy >>>  LOL  >> > I feel for you being a Chevy guy -----   electric steering ? > never knew there was such a thing on trucks , will say a prayer on your behalf , might have to light a candle on that one ^^^     

So what everyone is saying is my issues are bigger then the steering lol...

I've always been a Ford guy.  This is the first Chevy I have owned and I do like the truck.  If it were traditional power steering I would know more of what I am feeling.  The electric is just new to me.  Maybe its fine or normal for a truck with a few miles like this one?

Seems a ground issue must be common on your model.  Cause when I searched the subject of electric power steering on a Chevy there are many ground issue videos.  

1 hour ago, walhonding300 said:

I was seeing that a lot also.  I just haven't been able to pin point the problem, even if there really is one.  

Atc4ever mentioned a bulletin.  Did you search for that 

Yes but all I can seem to find is the opposite, that there is an issue with failure or the steering gets harder.  I am really starting to wondering if I am imagining things or if its just the old tires.

Here is one , looked like there were others 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10081086-0335.pdf

You did not mention 1500 or 2500 , I seen both while looking for a bulletin  , said they were free , I never tried to load them , here is the 1500 manual --- do you have one 

https://chevytrucks.org/owners-manuals/2015-chevy-silverado-1500-owners-manual/

If everything is tight it could be the pitman slack adjustment... I'm not too sure about the newer models but the older square bodies were bad about getting slack ... I'll dig more... I never like fords because of they. Role and hunt too much in the steering, least the light duties did ranger up to the 350 (one ton) ... 

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-LTZ-Z71-promo1
SEE ALL 1 PHOTOS

Related Video

General Motors is recalling roughly 1.2 million model-year 2015 trucks and SUVs globally for a problem with the electric power steering system. GM previously recalled nearly 700,000 model-year 2014 pickups for the same issue.

The Problem: The electric power steering system in certain 2015 ChevroletSilverado, Tahoe, Suburban, GMC Sierra and Yukon, and Cadillac Escalademodels can fail and then return suddenly. If this happens during a low-speed turn, the abrupt steering assistance could cause you to crash. The Associated Press reports that GM is aware of 30 crashes and two injuries related to the issue.

The Fix: Owners of affected vehicles will be notified and instructed to visit a dealership. There, technicians will update the electric power steering software at no cost to the owner. For more info, owners can contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 or the appropriate GM brand customer service hotline referencing recall number 18289. Chevrolet can be reached at 1-800-222-1020, GMC at 1-800-462-8782, and Cadillac at 1-800-458-8006.

Number of Vehicles Potentially Affected: The recall covers 1,015,918 units in the U.S., including certain 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500s, Tahoes, and Suburbans; 2015 GMC Sierra 1500s and Yukons; and 2015 Cadillac Escalades. Vehicles in Canada, Mexico, and other countries are also being recalled.

Source: NHTSA, AP via ABC News

That's interesting to know.  I'll have to stop in at the dealer and see what they have to say.  Thank you very much.

Yesterday I was parked on some grass.  I stuck my head out the window and looked at the front tire while I moved the wheel.  Even the slightest movement showed up in the tire.  I am leaning hard on the idea that its the old tires.  Now I just have to bite the bullet and buy tires, which are not cheap by any means.

• Like 1

No bulletin or recall issues.  Everyone I have talked to is saying I'm just making things up lol, including people that drove the truck.  It's got to be the tires.  

A local mechanic shop does free mount/ balance and alignment if you buy tires from them.  They have a good price on Kenda Klever at2s so I am going to give them a try and see what happens.

• Like 3