riverc

Used Railroad Cross-Ties?

Anyone know where to get some? I hear you can get in trouble taking them along train tracks if caught.

• Haha 1

Think some higher end home improment stores sell them, Home Depot, lowes, here the co-op used to... you might also check there if yaw have a co-op near by ...  

• Like 1

Railroad sometimes contract out the tie replacement and the contractor get to old ties.  Some are too bad and they pay to have them disposed of and some are good enough to be sold for landscape timbers.  

Now, if there is a tie replacement program  going on in your area the going price for a decent tie is a 6 pack to the right guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riverc said:

Anyone know where to get some? I hear you can get in trouble taking them along train tracks if caught.

you can buy them from homedepot, i bought some last yr to line my driveway at my cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looked online Home Depot don't have any at this time. Lowe's wants over $30 for one more than I want to pay for a used cross tie. Í'm thinking maybe call railroad company and see what they say.

2 hours ago, riverc said:

Looked online Home Depot don't have any at this time. Lowe's wants over $30 for one more than I want to pay for a used cross tie. Í'm thinking maybe call railroad company and see what they say.

did you do a search around for all homedepots within a certain distance ?..as in..more than just one homedepot ?. this is what i had to do back then. yeah..prices on everything is high.

I've seen them at tractor supply also... if I recall right ? Sierra Is or used to be with the rail industry ? Maybe in cummnications ? I believe  something about it posted in here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

did you do a search around for all homedepots within a certain distance ?..as in..more than just one homedepot ?. this is what i had to do back then. yeah..prices on everything is high.

Yes, furthest I'm willing to drive from my place.

I bought some from Lowe’s a couple years ago. Think they are a springtime item. Local feed store used  to carry them around here. 

• Like 1