BlueJay

What is the purpose of the hose on the gas cap?

Since obtaining this 2000 Rancher I have been trying to put everything back into its original place. The question I have is what is the purpose of the hose going from the gas cap to hole in the steering assembly? The original hose on the bike was rotted so I replaced it but every time I look down it has pulled out from the cap so it doesn’t seem to make any difference. Can I just cap it off or does it have something to do with back pressure in the gas tank? Thanks. 

BlueJay that is the vent for the tank, if that gets stopped up the motor will likely stop. ( at least not run right.)  have a great day...derf

• Like 2

Vent line. It takes a thin walled hose to sit in the cap enough to stay put. I think at regular part stores you can get windshield washer hose that does the trick.

Or for like 5 or 6 bucks you can get one of these. As long as you dont go in deep water often. I run one on everything i own.

Screenshot_20231126_211019_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I use mine for hunting and if I get into that much water I will have other issues to deal with. Thanks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlueJay said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I use mine for hunting and if I get into that much water I will have other issues to deal with. Thanks. 

No problem! Happy to help!

• Like 1