Gamewarden

2008 Honda 500 relay clicking

Folks

i have had off and on problems with my starter relay clicking and not turning over my engine. Sometimes it turns over first time other times not. Which is most likely the problem? Battery is fully charged and 

i can start the honda with the pull start. As i understand it the battery, relay or starter needs replaced. Anyway to simply check which one is at fault. Should I just replace the starter?

thanks Mark

Welcome aboard.  My guess is the starter brushes or solenoid is going out.

On my 500's, when my starter brushes started to go, if the engine stopped right on the compression stroke, when I hit the start button it wouldn't turn over.  If I pulled the pull start to just get it past the compression stroke, then the starter would work.

If you have a voltmeter, next time it does that, red probe on starter stud, black probe on engine.  If you see 12V there, starter needs a rebuild.  If you don't see 12V there, replace the solenoid.

You could also simply jump the terminals at the solenoid with an old screwdriver next time it does it.  If it turns over, you need a solenoid.  If it doesn't, rebuild your starter.

These starters are simple to rebuild, and a brush kit is cheap.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AYI5IM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you need a solenoid, get a used one from powersportsnation.

AVOID Amazon and ebay starters and solenoids.  While that brush kit isn't great, putting cheap brushes in an OEM starter will usually bring it back to life and last longer than a china starter.

• Like 1

starter solenoid is bad, purchase a oem part from rocky mountain atv, or a used oem one from power sports nation.

Thanks guys for the info. When you are talking starter solenoid, are you refering to the starter relay up by the battery. The starter does not seem to have a solenoid attached to it. Hope I am clear.

Mark

Where it's a hit and miss issue I would put my money on the starter brushes getting worn down and barely making contact. If you can get it to mess up just see if you have voltage going in and out (while pressing the button) of the starter solenoid. If you have power, it's a starter problem.

• Like 2

I had the relay clicking again and pulled the cord to move the starter and Bob's your uncle, starter worked again. So I think my first repair will be the brushes. Thanks all for the expert advice.

Mark

• Like 2