bigcountry78

Best alignment measurement

What has everyone found to be the best alignment measurement as far as handling and tire wear goes? Should the tires be equal measurements apart front and rear, or should the front of the front tires be closer together? I know there’s a word for that but it escapes me.

• Like 1

I do a couple things..  I do read the manual for specs, use a string line,  measuring tape, & the best method is trial & error on feel!

Just now, Wheeler said:

I do a couple things..  I do read the manual for specs, use a string line,  measuring tape, & the best method is trial & error on feel & eyeball!

2 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

or should the front of the front tires be closer together? I know there’s a word for that but it escapes me.

Toe-in or toe-out.... cars and trucks are generally toe'd in 1/16" to 1/8" while Honda 4WD ATVs are generally toe'd out.

Personal preference often comes into play on a Honda ATV, they handle decent through a wide range of adjustment. I personally like the toe on my '00 Rancher straight up since I ride in 2WD most of the time, which results in the easiest steering effort. I still see fast front tire wear on asphalt no matter if it is adjusted to zero toe, or toe'd in or out, so I go for the least steering effort in 2WD mode.

Your riding environment, choice of tires, or personal preference may differ greatly from the way others like their steering set up.

• Like 2

I'm with Retro, like mine more or less straight ahead.  Makes steering easier.   When working on other people's machines, and from the factory, they are toed out a bit.  This makes them more stable, but steers a little harder and will usually wear one front tire unevenly.

I tie fishing line to the rear ball, run it around the side and the put the pole about 10 feet in front of the wheeler directly out front.

If the line is touching the tire at both 3 and 9 oclock on the front tire, it's straight forward.  If the line is touching the left tire at 9 oclock and not touching the left tire at 3 oclock, it's toed out.  If touching at 3 oclock and not at 9 oclock, it's toed in.  Does that make sense?

• Like 3

On 12/20/2023 at 11:43 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I'm with Retro, like mine more or less straight ahead.  Makes steering easier.   When working on other people's machines, and from the factory, they are toed out a bit.  This makes them more stable, but steers a little harder and will usually wear one front tire unevenly.

I tie fishing line to the rear ball, run it around the side and the put the pole about 10 feet in front of the wheeler directly out front.

If the line is touching the tire at both 3 and 9 oclock on the front tire, it's straight forward.  If the line is touching the left tire at 9 oclock and not touching the left tire at 3 oclock, it's toed out.  If touching at 3 oclock and not at 9 oclock, it's toed in.  Does that make sense?

Not entirely. I understand the line tied to the ball joint? And ran out front, but how do you know exactly where to place the pole to get it directly out front?? When I did the tie rod ends, I stood it on the rear rack and measured from left tire to right tire on center at the rear of the tire and then at the front of the tire and made them equal. But looking at it now, it looks like it’s toed out. Not sure if it didn’t hold the alignment or if it’s an optical illusion because of the angle of the front fenders.

Edited by bigcountry78

I think Jeep was referring to attachment of the fishing line to the towing hitch, then take the string around the rear tire and then extend the string out in front of the ATV.

Here is a video showing the concept of the string wheel alignment method.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

Not entirely. I understand the line tied to the ball joint? And ran out front, but how do you know exactly where to place the pole to get it directly out front?? When I did the tie rod ends, I stood it on the rear rack and measured from left tire to right tire on center at the rear of the tire and then at the front of the tire and made them equal. But looking at it now, it looks like it’s toed out. Not sure if it didn’t hold the alignment or if it’s an optical illusion because of the angle of the front fenders.

If you align with the wheels off the ground, the weight on the pavement will squat the front end and change the alignment.

Best to do it with the wheeler/ wheels on the ground

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 12:18 PM, jeepwm69 said:

If you align with the wheels off the ground, the weight on the pavement will squat the front end and change the alignment.

Best to do it with the wheeler/ wheels on the ground

Ok, I’ll try that this time.

On 12/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, retro said:

I think Jeep was referring to attachment of the fishing line to the towing hitch, then take the string around the rear tire and then extend the string out in front of the ATV.

Here is a video showing the concept of the string wheel alignment method.

That….. makes more sense lol.

• Like 1

i put my front tires straight. i do this by eye sight, front to back with the outside edge of my rear tires.

• Like 1

I tried the string method and it seems to have worked out well. I guess when I made the initial adjustments with the tires in the air, the suspension compressing pulled the alignment in. One tire was pretty close to straight, but the other tire was toed out. They are now both straight, and to me that feels the best.

Definitely steers easier with both wheels pointing straight ahead!

• Haha 2