bryanc5712

Foreman 450 perfex long travel kit

Hi there guys, I've found a perfex long travel kit for a foreman 400 and wondering if it'll fit a foreman 450? I know there similar dimensions but wouldn't mind if it needed a bit of modification to work anyone know if it would fit? Many thanks! Bryan

The rear will fit.  The rear swingarm, diff, and axle tubes are the same on the 400 as they are on the 450.  The only change made was the hitch was welded to the tube on the early ones, and bolt on on the later ones.

Not sure about the front, as I believe the 450 suspension is a bit taller than the 400, but as hard as a perfex is to find these days, I'd just on it if the price is right.  The front of the perfex is just like any other bracket lift.  The rear is what is perfex specific.

Thanks jeep! Yeah I found it through a company in Alberta Canada, they mostly deal in Harley parts by the looks of it and there clearing out old parts, seem very reputable, and at a heck of  a good price aswell, wanted to be extra sure it would fit as I live over in the UK on an island in Scotland!! So import charges delivery etc, but I don't mind if any modification is needed either 

I put a 450 Perfex kit on one of my 500's, and I have a 400 swingarm in my other 500,which also has a perfex on it.

I'm 99.9999% sure that 450 kit will bolt right onto a 400 with no issues.   If I had to guess, the 400, 450, and 500 perfex kits are probably all the exact same components.

Thanks for the reply jeep it's been ordered! I've always been intrigued to try the perfex out, but they are getting harder and harder to find these days, I've had the 450 for a number of years now rebuilt it from the ground up along with the 300,  we ride a lot on moors we call it a lot of up and down, drops and old peat banks which we used to and a lots of people still do cut for heating there homes here, so the moors littered with these banks, and peat bogs which will sink a machine out of sight if you don't watch! The straight axles will never have a comfortable ride as such, but did you notice a difference with the perfex?

Yes, I have Perfex lifts on 4 different machines.  It doesn't make the IRS quality by any means when it comes to the ride, but it does greatly improve over the stock suspension.

That's great to hear jeep, any small improvement is definitely worth it on the old sra setups, I see the rear has two settings, I'm assuming the top hole gives the highest lift and softest setting due to the angle of the shock, did you notice a difference between the two?

I've put all of mine on the highest setting.  That puts the shock more or less straight up and down.

Thanks jeep, I'll play about with it when I get it and see what works out, not really after a big lift as such as lower centre of gravity the better were we ride in certain places, it'll be next month before I get it though so a long wait lol

Perfex kit arrived and fitted, was surprised how quick the delivery was from Canada, rear went together no bother apart from the spacers being to large, put it the highest setting and pleased with the height, front being since it was for a foreman 400 the bottom shock eye would catch the top of the arm, so made a spacer to raise the bracket up just enough for clearance, haven't ridden it yet but so far pleased with it and will get pictures up, again many thanks @jeepwm69 wouldn't have pulled the trigger without your knowledge!

• Like 1

Finally got round to taking it out and very pleased with it!! Got the rears on the highest setting, the front I didn't gain much as the front brackets are meant for a foreman 400, but all round it sits very nice now slightly higher in the back by a tiny amount but nothing noticeable was never that bothered about the lift side of things, but the ride is so much better than it was before!! Not exactly can am or Polaris irs  obviously, but for an old straight axle honda what a difference, I'm Very very impressed with it, Next step is slightly bigger tyres to fill that arch gap a wee bit 😂

PXL_20240210_140843060.jpg

PXL_20240210_140733966.jpg

PXL_20240210_140817340.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bryanc5712 said:

Finally got round to taking it out and very pleased with it!! Got the rears on the highest setting, the front I didn't gain much as the front brackets are meant for a foreman 400, but all round it sits very nice now slightly higher in the back by a tiny amount but nothing noticeable was never that bothered about the lift side of things, but the ride is so much better than it was before!! Not exactly can am or Polaris irs  obviously, but for an old straight axle honda what a difference, I'm Very very impressed with it, Next step is slightly bigger tyres to fill that arch gap a wee bit 😂

PXL_20240210_140843060.jpg

PXL_20240210_140733966.jpg

PXL_20240210_140817340.jpg

woulda been cheaper if ya just lost some weight ?!..lol..looks good though !.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, shadetree said:

woulda been cheaper if ya just lost some weight ?!..lol.

Eh dont pay him no attention..... lol!..... hey speeking of... you DO have an updated cell phone dont ya ?? If not avoid that subject like the plague .... 🤣 take the same stance if ya have an older PREHISTORIC puter.... 

Wilson aka future bann candidate .... bahaha.

IMG_7052.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I need to get on this forum more often! Lol 😂 I've got a fancy phone that'll do anything bar cook your breakfast, BUT my computer dates back to the stone age does that even it out? 🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bryanc5712 said:

I need to get on this forum more often! Lol 😂 I've got a fancy phone that'll do anything bar cook your breakfast, BUT my computer dates back to the stone age does that even it out? 🤣

sounds like you are related to wilson ??..lol,

• Haha 2

Bryan

I have just ordered the Perfex long travel kit for my 450. Went for the 500 kit which has the same rear kit but the front brackets are different, hopefully sorting out the issues with the front end. Are you still impressed with your kit? Softened it up loads? Are your shocks uprated? Dave

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:44 PM, shadetree said:

sounds like you are related to wilson ??..lol,

DOUBLE parked..... smart guy....lol!

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:43 PM, Mrdaviemac said:

Bryan

I have just ordered the Perfex long travel kit for my 450. Went for the 500 kit which has the same rear kit but the front brackets are different, hopefully sorting out the issues with the front end. Are you still impressed with your kit? Softened it up loads? Are your shocks uprated? Dave

Hi Dave, well impressed with the kit still and it's standard shocks I'm running, it's softer than stock and seems to soak the bumps up a lot better, ain't no independent rear suspension though but for a straight axle I'm very impressed! Yeah I need to sort out the front on mine though, sits to low for my likeing as the 400 bracket holes sit lower than the 450 and 500 let us know how you get on!

Bryan

I am running standard shocks but see that Quad Bikes Wales have the Moose Utility shocks with 10% stiffer springs. My plan was to see how the 450 handled on the Perfex kit but have the option to fit the stiffer shocks if I found it too soft. You could also fit the Moose shocks to the front on yours to lift the front more. I bought the 500 kit thinking that the extra holes on the front brackets might lift the 450 level. Should be here around first week in May from Canada. Looking forward to getting it fitted.

That's a good shout on the moose shocks! Do you know how much bigger they are to stock by any chance? Hopefully the brackets will make compared to the 400, I had to make spacers on the front for it to actually fit mine and still sits to low for my likeing compared to the rear, Im not a fan of lifts myself, but it was a means to get a bit more comfort out of the 450, now to just get it sitting levelish, let us know how you get on with the kit when you get it!!

I am pressuming that with 10% stiffer springs, they will not sag as much with the weight of the bike. Add to that, your own shocks, if they are original, they will be sagging lower anyway, the Moose shocks should pick up the front a bit. Hopefully in your case, enough to level the quad out! You can ask Quad bikes wales the specs of the shocks, they are pretty helpful.

ya know...if all you over weight folks would go on a diet ?, you would not need better shocks ?!..lol.