Bossdaddy

1996 Honda Fourtrax 300 Starting Question

Hey guys, I've been away for a while but I have a new problem and I knew where to come to get the answers. I've got a new to me 1996 fourtrax 300 and when I go to start it with the starter it will not hit at all until I release the start button and it starts instantly. Why will it not star while I'm pushing the start button? This is very annoying when trying to start it in cold weather and having to use the choke, I don't know when it's ready to start or not so I'm having to try it numerous times to see if it is choked enough and ready to start up.

IIRC the "spark when you let off of the button" is the sign of a dead/dying CDI AND the 1996 CDI's are the ones that are crappy one year thing.  That right @shadetree?

• Like 1

They (Honda) had an update on those CDI back in the day for this reason. Just replace it and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

I have an 88 trx 300 that I'm working on with no spark. If we determine it is the CDI will the one from Ricks work? I have read differing reviews. The 88 model supposedly was a one off year. Anyone with experience with this year? 

I have a 1988 that I bought new. The CDI box went out on it in 1991 and the Honda dealer put a new one on it. I have had no more trouble with a CDI since it was installed in 1991. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcz said:

I have an 88 trx 300 that I'm working on with no spark. If we determine it is the CDI will the one from Ricks work? I have read differing reviews. The 88 model supposedly was a one off year. Anyone with experience with this year? 

It is my understanding that Rick’s makes a 1st gen CDI that should work 88-92.  You should confirm that with Ricks though

• Like 1

Ok, I have feeling it is the ignition coil. Everything checks out according to the manual. I'm waiting on a coil and rectifier from PSN. The parts were cheap enough I went on and ordered both along with a master cylinder. Appreciate the feed back. Sorry about the slight thread hijack. 

• Like 1