shrek18

2001 foreman 450 crank, no start no spark

So as I sit here and ponder things, I can't help but wonder if the ICM/CDI. Box is damaged from having the wrong regulator installed first? I know things can be junk new in the package but it just seems odd. Also having tapped on it then getting it to spark makes me wonder if it's worth swapping it out again. I contacted RMATV and they are having their tech dept reach out to trouble shoot that part before they send a new one out. I'm almost ready to throw in thr towel 

17 hours ago, shrek18 said:

So as I sit here and ponder things, I can't help but wonder if the ICM/CDI. Box is damaged from having the wrong regulator installed first? I know things can be junk new in the package but it just seems odd. Also having tapped on it then getting it to spark makes me wonder if it's worth swapping it out again. I contacted RMATV and they are having their tech dept reach out to trouble shoot that part before they send a new one out. I'm almost ready to throw in thr towel 

all things aside, its either going to be something to do with the stator/pick up coil ?, or the c.d.i. ?.

Looking at the service manual, that spark generator looks like a bit of a pain to change... possibly pull the motor and then I'll need a special fly wheel holder it looks like? Has anyone ever done that job?

2 hours ago, shrek18 said:

Looking at the service manual, that spark generator looks like a bit of a pain to change... possibly pull the motor and then I'll need a special fly wheel holder it looks like? Has anyone ever done that job?

no, you do not need to pull the motor, no, you do not need a spec tool to pull the flywheel, flywheel stays on. all you are doing is removing the rear engine cover, which has the stator and pick up coil attached to it.

I've never been inside of one these engines but the rotor sitting in oil seems a bit strange. Regardless, it's off. Would it be beneficial to clean the alternator assembly up or just wipe it off and reinstall it ?

20240330_212325.jpg

20240330_212342.jpg

Your oil looks a bit milky there and seem to have clear water drops on your starter gears in the picture-was this a sunk or deep water ATV?

-AKATV

• Like 1

Negative. I agree with the milkiness. This atv lives its life pushing up feed for dairy cows 3 times a day. It's on hard surface at all times. I just changed oil and filter less than 1 month ago

Pretty unusual if you just changed it, could have maybe been from a pressure washer blowing thru starter o-ring or similar etc

Were you going to swap pulse gen?, I seem to remember an ohm test years ago and found a few bad ones that way, but don't see ohm measurement / rating in the current manual

Just for kicks do you have an ohm reading on it?

-AKATV

9 minutes ago, AKATV said:

We?re you going to swap pulse gen?, I seem to remember an ohm test years ago and found a few bad ones that way, but don't see ohm measurement / rating in the current manual

Just for kicks do you have an ohm reading on it?

-AKATV

I agree. It's always this milky and they don't wash anything on the farm lol. I will ohm it shortly but I didn't see anything listed for a value in the manual. Is the generator sitting in an oil bath normal then? 

The shift fork is messed up in this unit and it won't go into 2nd gear so it lives its life in 1st gear almost permanently. The farmers daughter runs it hard and the rpms are high all the time. It used to sit outside but now they keep it inside but not heated 

Is this an ES or foot shift?

Might just need to pop clutch cover off and put the bolt back in the star wheel on the shift drum, common to come loose

Yes the generator, stator and flywheel sit in oil bath, they all do on most wheelers

Like I said ohms test is not in manual I think it was like 330 or something, I think it used to be in the foreman 350, or the 300 manual or similar years back?

I will have to look at one in the shed, I never had proper peak voiltage tester, but never really needed one in 30+ years, I  always just swapped it out and tested with another known good one

-AKATV

This one is a ES. When I ohm it out it starts about 20 ohms and climbs up to 40 before my meter kicks over to OL. 

As far as the shifting goes, that's a problem for another day. It went to the dealer and they had it for 6 weeks and their answer was changing the pushbutton cluster on the bars and telling us it has a bad shift fork and that's why it jumps out of gear when you give it gas in 2nd. I don't recall exactly how much but I think it was $1100-$1200 they charged him for repairing nothing and saying parts weren't available. That's why they just run it in 1st since they have to go slow to push feed anyway.

6 hours ago, shrek18 said:

I agree. It's always this milky and they don't wash anything on the farm lol. I will ohm it shortly but I didn't see anything listed for a value in the manual. Is the generator sitting in an oil bath normal then? 

no way in heck has this engine oil not got water in it !!..thats milky from water getting into it. i've worked on these for over 30 yrs, you can not tell me that oil is normal !..lol.

20 hours ago, shrek18 said:

I've never been inside of one these engines but the rotor sitting in oil seems a bit strange. Regardless, it's off. Would it be beneficial to clean the alternator assembly up or just wipe it off and reinstall it ?

20240330_212325.jpg

20240330_212342.jpg

do me a favor, have a look at those allen bolt heads, and see if they are tight ?, in this pic ^^..they don't look like they are all the way down ??. while your at it, check to see if the flywheel has sheered the wooddruf key ?, if it has ?, then this is a big problem for the timing...also as to why it ain't sparking !. when ya go to install the stator cover back on ?, MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN THE NEUTRAL SWITCH WITH THE LONGER END OF THE ROLL PIN FACING/OVER THE LETTER N BEFORE YOU GO TO INSTALL COVER !. this is very important !!!. that tang sits inside the shift drum slot on the end of the shift drum.

7 hours ago, AKATV said:

Your oil looks a bit milky there and seem to have clear water drops on your starter gears in the picture-was this a sunk or deep water ATV?

-AKATV

100 bucks say's its been sunk,,,any takers ?..lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shrek18 said:

As far as the shifting goes, that's a problem for another day. It went to the dealer and they had it for 6 weeks and their answer was changing the pushbutton cluster on the bars and telling us it has a bad shift fork and that's why it jumps out of gear when you give it gas in 2nd. I don't recall exactly how much but I think it was $1100-$1200 they charged him for repairing nothing and saying parts weren't available. That's why they just run it in 1st since they have to go slow to push feed anyway.

jumping out of gear can be anything from the shift motor not doing a full shift ?..all the way down to a bad shift drum or shift forks, bad gear dogs on one of the gears  ?. and this means a total engine tear down.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, shadetree said:

100 bucks say's its been sunk,,,any takers ?..lol.

Lol if you have the time you can watch the camera footage from the farm. The only water it sees is the rain or snow driving from barn to barn. I changed the oil in February. It looks like this every time I change it. A minimum of 2 times a year. It had looked like this since I started maintaining it in 2014

Edited by shrek18
Adding more info

23 minutes ago, shadetree said:

do me a favor, have a look at those allen bolt heads, and see if they are tight ?, in this pic ^^..they don't look like they are all the way down ??. while your at it, check to see if the flywheel has sheered the wooddruf key ?, if it has ?, then this is a big problem for the timing...also as to why it ain't sparking !. when ya go to install the stator cover back on ?, MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN THE NEUTRAL SWITCH WITH THE LONGER END OF THE ROLL PIN FACING/OVER THE LETTER N BEFORE YOU GO TO INSTALL COVER !. this is very important !!!. that tang sits inside the shift drum slot on the end of the shift drum.

I will check those Allen's when I get home. I will look at that key as well. When I go to put the unit back together I will ask you again about the alignment. I'm not to sure I follow but once I look at the engine it may make more sense 

33 minutes ago, shrek18 said:

Lol if you have the time you can watch the camera footage from the farm. The only water it sees is the rain or snow driving from barn to barn. I changed the oil in February. It looks like this every time I change it. A minimum of 2 times a year. It had looked like this since I started maintaining it in 2014

sooo..is this a bet ??..lol. i know milky oil when i see it, oil is not that color that is in your pic. all atv engine oil turns black over time...that oil looks white too me ?, and this tells me its got water in it. as it was pointed out from AKATV ^^, there is water drops on the starter gear !. another sign of water mixed with the oil. i'll stake my rep on this...right along with that 100 bucks !..lol. i know what engine oil looks like when it has water in it, 30 plus yrs doing this has my back !..lol.

33 minutes ago, shrek18 said:

I will check those Allen's when I get home. I will look at that key as well. When I go to put the unit back together I will ask you again about the alignment. I'm not to sure I follow but once I look at the engine it may make more sense 

in the pic of the stator ( bottom pic ). that switch that sticks up ?..that is your gear position switch, it tells you on the dash what gear you are in..or when in neutral or reverse ?. see that rolled pin that looks like a TEE ? , the longer end of it faces/sits over the letter N that is stamped on top of the plastic switch right below it when its centered over the letter N.

• Like 1

What is cause of the gouges on the fly wheel ? must be loose metal some where

7 minutes ago, shadetree said:

sooo..is this a bet ??..lol. i know milky oil when i see it, oil is not that color that is in your pic. all atv engine oil turns black over time...that oil looks white too me ?, and this tells me its got water in it. as it was pointed out from AKATV ^^, there is water drops on the starter gear !. another sign of water mixed with the oil. i'll stake my rep on this...right along with that 100 bucks !..lol. i know what engine oil looks like when it has water in it, 30 plus yrs doing this has my back !..lol.

I was off on my date. March 8th I had it in for a service and I pressure washed it. First time it's been washed since 2021. I changed the oil after the wash.. I can't disagree that it looks milky but ill wager everything you see in this picture it hasn't been sunk from the 8th until it arrived in my shop a week ago... the farm is the highest point in out county and its been mighty dry around here. Plus that's a long way down to anywhere with it stuck in first gear lol 

20240331_191415.jpg