Rdub

2009 Honda Foreman won't crank

I have a 2009 honda foreman ES that will not crank.
Here are the symptoms: No spark from the spark plug, electric shift will not work, 4x4 selector switch does not work
I am not getting any error codes on my display screen. The screen displays a solid 'N'. When I try to retrieve any codes it might have, it still does not give me any. I can change gears manually with the provided tool and the display changes gears on the screen.

I replaced the ECU with a known working one and it did not fix it. I also took the ECU out of this bike and put in another 2009 foreman and that bike fired right up.
I replaced the Voltage rectifier - it didnt help.
I replaced the ignition coil and spark plug - it didnt help.
I verified all the fuses and diode are good
I verified the ES switch is working correctly per continuity test
I verified the angle sensor is working correctly per continuity test

What is the voltage suppose to be going to the angle sensor and CKP sensor?
Would a faulty CKP sensor or angle sensor keep the bike from both cranking and Electric shift not working?

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the problem was? I have started ohming out various wires to see if I have wiring issue, but this could take awhile. I am just looking for some feedback/recommendations from someone. Thanks!

work on the crank issue 1st. that only involves the starter, the solenoid, starter and battery. the other issues,, start with the fuses. also, download the service manual at the top of the page.

On 7/22/2024 at 10:04 AM, Rdub said:
I have a 2009 honda foreman ES that will not crank.
Here are the symptoms: No spark from the spark plug, electric shift will not work, 4x4 selector switch does not work
I am not getting any error codes on my display screen. The screen displays a solid 'N'. When I try to retrieve any codes it might have, it still does not give me any. I can change gears manually with the provided tool and the display changes gears on the screen.

I replaced the ECU with a known working one and it did not fix it. I also took the ECU out of this bike and put in another 2009 foreman and that bike fired right up.
I replaced the Voltage rectifier - it didnt help.
I replaced the ignition coil and spark plug - it didnt help.
I verified all the fuses and diode are good
I verified the ES switch is working correctly per continuity test
I verified the angle sensor is working correctly per continuity test

What is the voltage suppose to be going to the angle sensor and CKP sensor?
Would a faulty CKP sensor or angle sensor keep the bike from both cranking and Electric shift not working?

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the problem was? I have started ohming out various wires to see if I have wiring issue, but this could take awhile. I am just looking for some feedback/recommendations from someone. Thanks!

Will it turn over/ crank over with the right brake lever pulled?   Have you checked the kill switch on the left to make sure it's in the middle position?  That one gets all of us sooner or later.

The problem ended up being the throttle position sensor. I never would have thought that the TPS would have caused the bike to 1. Not get a spark at spark plug 2. ES not work 3. Not throw a code on screen

Once I replaced the sensor, all issues went away. It Cranked on the first time and has been running good since. 

Once the bike cranked, the 4x4 started working as well. 

• Like 1

Hi @Rdub-- Great to hear you kept at it to solve the problem -- you mastered it

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rdub said:

The problem ended up being the throttle position sensor. I never would have thought that the TPS would have caused the bike to 1. Not get a spark at spark plug 2. ES not work 3. Not throw a code on screen

Once I replaced the sensor, all issues went away. It Cranked on the first time and has been running good since. 

Once the bike cranked, the 4x4 started working as well. 

I'd heard of the TPS killing spark on a Rubicon, but not an ES or Footshift.   My 06 threw a TPS code and ran fine.   Weird.

The 4x4 won't work without the machine running.  That's a good @shadetree story/ lesson we all learned a while back.

Thanks for reporting back with the solution.  Something that will likely help others!