struthers

2007 Honda Foreman 500Fe no spark

I ended up replacing the flywheel and it did start and run for awhile and I turned it off I went to putting it back together and now no spark again, I rechecked my postion on my TPS and it's in spec idk where to go from here. @shadetree @jeepwm69 

i took off every connectio ln i could find on it and sprayed it down with some contact cleaner and let it dry, and still no change I just wonder if the TPS sensor is bad?

I am getting engine code 12, which is gear position system which manual says it's either the gear position switch, wire harness or ecm. I've already tried an ecm to no avail, would that gear position switch cause it not to spark though?

You need the Neutral light on to start

• Like 2

It needs to be in neutral, showing an N on the dash and the green neutral light needs to be on as well.

Does the display show the correct gear?  Sometimes folks get the gear position switch 180 degrees out when they reinstall the rear engine cover.

You can start in gear with the right brake lever pulled

Try starting with the right brake lever pulled and see if you get anything.

2 hours ago, struthers said:

@jeepwm69 well here's the right break lever just moves up and down freely need to feel with fluid and bleed them I beleive.

There are two microswitches on the right brake lever that allow the start in gear feature.  You should hear both of them click when you pull the lever 

@jeepwm69 i see the 2 switches you are talking about but i cant here them unless i reset it all the way up, like i said its doesnt have hardly any resistance when i pull the handle for the brake, so i can work it back an forth pretty fast.

The machine should start in any gear with the handle pulled back enough to allow the switches to click.

Unless you have other issues, of course. 

That gear position error code could kill spark if the ECU is confused on what gear it’s in.  One of mine wouldn’t show 3rd gear when riding it, just a blank where the gear normally shows, and if I pulled the right brake lever it would turn over but wouldn’t get spark because the gear wasn’t displayed.  

@jeepwm69 well with the thing turned on with the key it will go for N to 1st to 2nd and when I go to the 3 it shows blank but it isn't started

13 hours ago, Melatv said:

You need the Neutral light on to start

i always liked that thing, at the bottom of thread, run with the animals, one way or another. doesnt help this thread though...

6 hours ago, struthers said:

@jeepwm69 well with the thing turned on with the key it will go for N to 1st to 2nd and when I go to the 3 it shows blank but it isn't started

aint that normal, i dont know what normal is anymore.

On 8/10/2024 at 12:26 AM, struthers said:

@jeepwm69 i do here the click when holding it down, however it still doesnt give me spark.

I'd unplug your gear position switch and ohm it out.  There are directions on how to do so in the factory service manual on page 22-13

• Like 1

@jeepwm69 okay here are my results:

Neutral has continuity to ground while in neutral.

1st has continuity to ground while in 1st.

2nd has continuity to ground while in 2nd.

3rd has continuity to ground while in 3rd.

4th has continuity to ground while in 4th.

5th has continuity to ground while in 5th.

Now with 4th and 5th I did have to rock the machine to get them to go into gear, don't know if that's pretty normal when your not driving or not.

16 hours ago, struthers said:

@jeepwm69 okay here are my results:

Neutral has continuity to ground while in neutral.

1st has continuity to ground while in 1st.

2nd has continuity to ground while in 2nd.

3rd has continuity to ground while in 3rd.

4th has continuity to ground while in 4th.

5th has continuity to ground while in 5th.

Now with 4th and 5th I did have to rock the machine to get them to go into gear, don't know if that's pretty normal when your not driving or not.

That is how it should be, and rocking to get in gear with the ATV not running is normal.

So far, you've adjusted TPS and gotten spark, and then you replaced the flywheel and again, temporarily got spark.

I'd be moving the wiring harness around and trying to start it.  Those two things are completely unrelated, which would lead me to believe you have a broken wire/ loose connection somewhere.

Have you checked your fusebox to ensure that you're getting power in and out of each fuse?  I'd probe the wires on the bottom of the fuse box where they come out, rather than simply check the fuses.   Sometimes the fuse spades don't make a good connection with the receptacle, so the fuse tests good, but no power is leaving the fuse going into the harness.

• Like 1

@jeepwm69 okay I will check fuse box, I have been shaking the wires everywhere and see if I get spark but it hasn't. But it may be important to point out when I adjusted the TPS I got spark yes but it still would start the atv, until I replaced the flywheel. The flywheel that was on it had rust and was pitting on the outside toward the crank position sensor. That's the only time it has started but I lost it shortly after. I will check the fuse box for sure, I read somewhere else that was their problem.

@jeepwm69 here are my results at the fuse box, im getting a good 12 volts in every location besides 3 places.

10amp IGN: 11.7 volts

10amp ACC: it's basically ghost voltage I don't read anything with key on or off.

15amp FAN: 4.8 volts 

20240813_165218.jpg

I would say you have something off there.

Look at this thread I had a few months ago.   Retro and Melatv gave me a lot of troubleshooting advice, but ultimately it ended up being a bad ECU.

That said, the troubleshooting instructions in it should help you.   I would start unplugging things related to the ignition one at a time, taking readings on that ignition fuse, and when the voltage goes up, you know that component is drawing power.

Hopefully @retro or @Melatv can chime in, as they're the electrical guys.   I tend to fumble through electrical problems.

I will point out, the ECU for the 500ES machines is discontinued and quite hard to come by now.  I know you said you have a known good one to use for testing.  Be careful with that thing.  PSN wants $600 for a used one now!