Texastbone

Can someone help me on this!!

So i saw a youtube video about putting this 8" pipe in the exhaust to quiet it down, I absolutely love how quiet it is, As i read the comments i noticed several people said it was bad for the engine?

Anyone have any insight on this one..

I really don't want to take it off, But if its bad its bad!!

Thanks    

forexhaust.jpg

• Like 1

No…. They are wrong …i have a turn down on my 300…… not a single issue….  apparently some don’t know…and would be well advised shut the hole under there nose….. your fine…. I’ve hauled many a load of firewood with that turn down on… no issue whatsoever ever and yep… it does quiet the exhaust down some …. If you look around in the forums several members have silencers added… mostly bikes used during hunting seasons…… i would keep the inside diameter exactly the same OR a Hair larger… not talking about those morons who add stupid over size bell mouth tips to those toy throw away bio / flex diesel tin tonka toys…but maybe just a hair larger in diameter…. 

IMG_0471.png

I do too my friend… you might also pull the square purge port out Purge the carbon build up out OR as much as ya can…. I’ve heard both thoughts on it some say it does no good and some say it does…. I know the WAY i cleaned mine did… i flushed mine over and over again a with water… till no more black soot flushed out then took for a ride… when the inside dried… the sound completely changed and i could defiantly tell a bit more pep and according to the speedo meter … even a hair faster on top end…. Just be sure if ya flush with water have the front of the bike pointed up hill… wouldn’t wont any water getting into the cyclinder … ether that of make sure the engine is set to compression stroke…. So NO water might be pushed into the cylinder … past the exhaust valve. 

• Like 1

I threaded the inside of the exhaust tip and screwed in an 8” pipe like the first post photo and have not noticed any difference other than a quieter exhaust. I don’t wind it out very often since I mainly use it for hunting. If I was doing more trail riding I would just unscrew the pipe and let it brap! I did use a larger piece of pipe for it tip but it is stepped down to 1” pipe for about 3” of the total length. It definitely quiets it down. IMG_6776.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

i have a question,;; How/Or, does this affect the valves in any way? too short of exhaust, can burn valves, it could only be in automotive, i kinda doubt this, but what effect does this have on an atv?

too short/too long exhaust, would seem to be a problem to me... the breathing of the engine, would be stifled, choked up..

Edited by LedFTed

2 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

i have a question,;; How/Or, does this affect the valves in any way? too short of exhaust, can burn valves, it could only be in automotive, i kinda doubt this, but what effect does this have on an atv?

too short/too long exhaust, would seem to be a problem to me...

I'm no mechanic so I haven't chimed in, but I have heard the same.  Increased back pressure, etc.  I personally know nothing.

I would guess if the pipe (no baffles or silencing material) was the same diameter… as the original tail pipe outlet… being all of those extensions are short… wouldn’t make any deference … in the breathing… were just talking a few inches… not a school buss…no mechanic ? You own an ES machine dont ya ? 

I wouldn’t think it would restrict it any more than a “silencer muffler” would. If I was really running it hard on some trails I might be concerned and would remove it. Otherwise it probably only makes .0017% difference in back pressure. 

• Like 1

it will not make any difference, it will make it a lot quiter.... mine went from 92 db to 62 db noise level...mine is 2 inches long with a 90 deg. ell and down 2 inches...good luck with yours....derf

• Like 1

Well,

I just returned home from the property, I ran it with and without..It is so much quitter with it installed im just going to leave it..My bike rarely sees north of second gear.

Thanks for the replys!! 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I would guess if the pipe (no baffles or silencing material) was the same diameter… as the original tail pipe outlet… being all of those extensions are short… wouldn’t make any deference … in the breathing… were just talking a few inches… not a school buss…no mechanic ? You own an ES machine dont ya ? 

I have people on stand-by to work on my ES.

• Like 1

i have had a bit of time to think on this, the sound, is different, than the pressure of the exhaust.. total different animals.. it was that the sound, on shows hurts so much to me, i just got those confused, for a moment.