shadetree

2002 trx450fm

ah yes, the ole basket case strikes again !..lol. located a project on fakebook, long drive to go get it, but for 500 bucks, its worth it !. will post pics some time either late sunday or monday morning ?, suppose to head after it sunday morning, looking at anywhere from 5 to 6 hr one-way drive ?. it is what it is. found out this morning that the head is gone, seat is gone, but everything else is there so they say ?. jeep was helping me locate a head today, but that fell through, we agreed to wait until i get this home, but..i'm pretty sure this is a done deal, i asked them to change the ad to pending, which they did real fast like. sooo..i'm sure its mine...or will be !. i did locate another head this evening, head, rockers, rocker cover, valves, and push rods for $ 280.70..yeah yeah...'' you should have waited until you got the 450 shadetree !! '', well..thing is..i do own a 450 as of right now, and seeing how these heads are getting harder and harder to find ?, i can't lose either way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Such a patient fellow.... but I do agree, extra parts are always a good thing

it was cheaper than that other seller, he can shove that head..lol.

3 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

I like it, but you’re not doing anything to help keep me from selling the rancher for a 450….. it’s even an 02 so I’m assuming it has traxloc?

'02 trx450fm does not call them traxloc, they are just select from 2wd to 4wd with a switch on the throttle housing, well..right under the front part attached to it. these have a electronic front diff that works off a magnetized pinion gear when you flip the switch on the throttle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

'02 trx450fm does not call them traxloc, they are just select from 2wd to 4wd with a switch on the throttle housing, well..right under the front part attached to it. these have a electronic front diff that works off a magnetized pinion gear when you flip the switch on the throttle.

Gotcha, hey I learned something lol. I wish they had put that in the ranchers as well, seems like a given that people would want selectable 2/4wd for handling.

37 minutes ago, bigcountry78 said:

Gotcha, hey I learned something lol. I wish they had put that in the ranchers as well, seems like a given that people would want selectable 2/4wd for handling.

older, early ranchers were all full time 4wd. then later through the years, honda put a shift knob on the left side to engage from 2wd to 4wd, the trx420 ranchers has/had this.

We haven't had a rebuild thread here for awhile, will be nice to see before/after pics.  I realize this isn't a make it mint project, but bet its gonna look alot better when done....

• Like 2

Hope when you get down there the only things missing are what has been told to you....from the pic posted it doesn't look like anything else major is gone....

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bcsman said:

We haven't had a rebuild thread here for awhile, will be nice to see before/after pics.  I realize this isn't a make it mint project, but bet its gonna look alot better when done....

oh it will deff be better than what it looks like right now for sure !..lol. but yes...you are correct, i'm not doing a full mint rebuild here, just trying to get a decent running atv for the bud at deer camp is all. no labor charges, just him paying for parts, my gas going to get it and back, and i'm good.

39 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Hope when you get down there the only things missing are what has been told to you....from the pic posted it doesn't look like anything else major is gone....

yeah..i don't see anything big missing ?..but...it is a project/basket case..sooo..i expect surprises !..lol.

On 10/12/2024 at 6:25 PM, bigcountry78 said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

• Like 2

left home yesterday morning, got there at noon, left there at 1pm, got back home at 6pm right on the dot, ate some dinner, unloaded it. found it was missing the WHOLE top end..not just the head..lol. missing the heat shield for fuel tank, muffle is whacked on it, missing the engine side covers. i was able to get a battery hooked up, shows 2319 miles/hrs on it, it looked like anyway ?, meter is a little sun burnt as they all do when left out in weather. here is a couple pics i took once in my shop last night.

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

left home yesterday morning, got there at noon, left there at 1pm, got back home at 6pm right on the dot, ate some dinner, unloaded it. found it was missing the WHOLE top end..not just the head..lol. missing the heat shield for fuel tank, muffle is whacked on it, missing the engine side covers. i was able to get a battery hooked up, shows 2319 miles/hrs on it, it looked like anyway ?, meter is a little sun burnt as they all do when left out in weather. here is a couple pics i took once in my shop last night.

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

I’m a little jelly. Would definitely put her back together, but that’s just me and I’ve been accused of being overly optimistic lol.

14 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

I love it and if I had access to the parts I would do this to mine immediately. I’d trade the 424 in a heartbeat to have OE push button 4wd.

2 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

I love it and if I had access to the parts I would do this to mine immediately. I’d trade the 424 in a heartbeat to have OE push button 4wd.

get a '02 - '04 trx450fm..and you can have 2wd/4wd select on the fly.

engine is out, i think i found the problem on why it would not run ?..lol.

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

update: got it going down to bare frame...oh the joy of 22 yrs of rusted , broken off bolts !.lol.

IMG_0885.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

engine is out, i think i found the problem on why it would not run ?..lol.

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

Little man with the jack hammer didn’t just knock knock knock… he shut that down cold….

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

So I know you trash all the floorboards, foot guards, whatever you call them. You reckon those would fit my rancher fairly easily?

no idea ?..i don't install them..i remove them from any atv i run across. i can't stand them..they are more trouble than what they are worth !.

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

no idea ?..i don't install them..i remove them from any atv i run across. i can't stand them..they are more trouble than what they are worth !.

I know, I know, I was hoping you would ship these instead of trash them lol.😂 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks pretty good to me!   Warn winch?

old warn winch, want it ?, you can have it along with the 500 cylinder when you ever drop by..lol.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bigcountry78 said:

I know, I know, I was hoping you would ship these instead of trash them lol.😂 

i had to hacksaw the right side mounting tube in order to get it off the frame, scrap metal as far as i am concerned.

• Like 1