On 10/14/2024 at 11:23 AM, bigcountry78 said:

I love it and if I had access to the parts I would do this to mine immediately. I’d trade the 424 in a heartbeat to have OE push button 4wd.

If you ever (for any reason) choose to get rid of that 424 keep me and @Wheeler in mind….. model doesn’t matter.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, shadetree said:

old warn winch, want it ?, you can have it along with the 500 cylinder when you ever drop by..lol.

Sure!  Your hunting buddy doesn't want it?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i had to hacksaw the right side mounting tube in order to get it off the frame, scrap metal as far as i am concerned.

Oh well, maybe someday I’ll stumble across a set.

31 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

If you ever (for any reason) choose to get rid of that 424 keep me and @Wheeler in mind….. model doesn’t matter.

Y’all are at the top of the list. I’ve considered just putting it back to full time 4x4. If I find a front driveshaft for reasonable, I’ll buy it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Sure!  Your hunting buddy doesn't want it?

don't know if it works or not ?, its cable, maybe 2500 lbs model ?. he's already told me he wants a warn winch with rope like mine on this atv. he better be ready for sticker shock ?!..lol. i'll set this warn aside for you when ever you get this way..take it with you,,all yers, i'll even help you load it !..rofl.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

Y’all are at the top of the list. I’ve considered just putting it back to full time 4x4. If I find a front driveshaft for reasonable, I’ll buy it.

look on power sports nation, they got all kinds of drive shafts.

• Like 1

had time to get a few things done today. got the frame all the way down to bare frame, stuck it outside the shop, pressure washed it. dug out the meters i told akatv that i would send him in exchange for him fixing the meter for this 450. i have two 450fm meters, and one 450fw meter that came off a early model 450fw..maybe a '98 i think it is ?. that was the very first trx450fw i restored many moons ago. got them all boxed up, gonna get them to the post office in the morning to send off.

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

• Like 3

update: just got back from another shopping trip from my buds place, everything i needed ( for now ) was on sale..it was free !..lol. i picked up a front rack off a trx400fw, should be a direct bolt on, this is the front rack. got the fender flares off the front and rear fenders on this trx400fw, they should be the same ?. had to run out there to locate a clutch cover. '' some one '' in their so-called wisdom thought it was a good idea to drill a hole all the way through the clutch cover where the oil lines bolt up ?!. doing this made a for sure oil leak right there, soo..had to get a clutch cover. first clutch cover i located was for a ele shift, second cover i located was for another ele shift..3rd and final clutch cover i located was for a manual shift..bingo !. got a text from a guy off fakebook market place, me and him has been doing some talking for some big parts, one of these parts is for a oem muffler, started out with just the muffler, but when i dug deeper into this project, i discovered i was missing a lot of parts !. fuel tank heat shield, seat/battery bracket, oem snorkel, head mounting bracket from head to frame, right side engine gray plastic cover. all this started out at 245 shipped ?, but when he got to rounding up the muffler..he discovered all of his mufflers had a rattle to them ?, pretty common for these mufflers through the yrs. i asked him if he's gonna discount the muffler for this reason ?, he replied..sure..i'll sell the muffller to you for 50 bucks instead of 100. i said bet !..i'll take it all. grand total for all these parts shipped came to $ 180.00 even, i paid the man fast like !.

i need to get up off my tired butt, and drag myself out to the shop, i've got a ton of crap that needs my attention. waiting on complete gasket kit, D.I.D. cam chain, oil seals to start putting the engine back together. i can stick one half of the engine together today/tonight, and then i have to wait on the gasket kit and oil seals. before you ask ?, yes..the crank is deff good !. i got a namura piston kit on order, pretty sure i will have to bore out the cylinder i got here, but it won't take much to get the piston to fit. anyway..i'll update later. Hopefully with some progress pic's of the engine going back together. time to go hit the grind stone !.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shadetree said:

update: just got back from another shopping trip from my buds place, everything i needed ( for now ) was on sale..it was free !..lol. i picked up a front rack off a trx400fw, should be a direct bolt on, this is the front rack. got the fender flares off the front and rear fenders on this trx400fw, they should be the same ?. had to run out there to locate a clutch cover. '' some one '' in their so-called wisdom thought it was a good idea to drill a hole all the way through the clutch cover where the oil lines bolt up ?!. doing this made a for sure oil leak right there, soo..had to get a clutch cover. first clutch cover i located was for a ele shift, second cover i located was for another ele shift..3rd and final clutch cover i located was for a manual shift..bingo !. got a text from a guy off fakebook market place, me and him has been doing some talking for some big parts, one of these parts is for a oem muffler, started out with just the muffler, but when i dug deeper into this project, i discovered i was missing a lot of parts !. fuel tank heat shield, seat/battery bracket, oem snorkel, head mounting bracket from head to frame, right side engine gray plastic cover. all this started out at 245 shipped ?, but when he got to rounding up the muffler..he discovered all of his mufflers had a rattle to them ?, pretty common for these mufflers through the yrs. i asked him if he's gonna discount the muffler for this reason ?, he replied..sure..i'll sell the muffller to you for 50 bucks instead of 100. i said bet !..i'll take it all. grand total for all these parts shipped came to $ 180.00 even, i paid the man fast like !.

i need to get up off my tired butt, and drag myself out to the shop, i've got a ton of crap that needs my attention. waiting on complete gasket kit, D.I.D. cam chain, oil seals to start putting the engine back together. i can stick one half of the engine together today/tonight, and then i have to wait on the gasket kit and oil seals. before you ask ?, yes..the crank is deff good !. i got a namura piston kit on order, pretty sure i will have to bore out the cylinder i got here, but it won't take much to get the piston to fit. anyway..i'll update later. Hopefully with some progress pic's of the engine going back together. time to go hit the grind stone !.

I KNEW IT.  That dang thing is always missing on a 450

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I KNEW IT.  That dang thing is always missing on a 450

ummm..which part ?..i was missing a few !. i had to fork out 117 for the air filter cage...that darn thing must grow legs and run off ?..i've never seen one in a project yet that i have worked ?!..lol.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

ummm..which part ?..i was missing a few !. i had to fork out 117 for the air filter cage...that darn thing must grow legs and run off ?..i've never seen one in a project yet that i have worked ?!..lol.

I highlighted the "seat bracket" in your old post, which is what I was referring to.

As for the air filter cage.....YIKES.   It's crazy how high some of these small bits are. 

• Like 1

Interesting to note that while most foot shifts and ES's have the same transmissions in them, the 450s actually have different transmission gears between the two.

The 450 ES transmission is designed to shift easier, but is not as durable as the 450 foot shift transmission.

350's, 420's, 500's the transmissions are the same whether ES or footshift. 

This is the 04 450ES engine I've been working on this week. 

IMG_4975.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I highlighted the "seat bracket" in your old post, which is what I was referring to.

As for the air filter cage.....YIKES.   It's crazy how high some of these small bits are. 

ok. you should see what a new rear rack cost ?, about 1300 bucks !. yikes is right..its unreal what atv parts are cost us now.

Just now, shadetree said:

ok. you should see what a new rear rack cost ?, about 1300 bucks !. yikes is right..its unreal what atv parts are cost us now.

I have on backorder two right tank covers, adventure green, for a 2008 TRX500FM.   $29.63 each.   I placed that order on 1/17/23.  

They are still available to backorder.  Current price is $866.95 at Partzilla.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/83550-HP0-B80ZA?ref=abd1ffd23bd6eefed0dd353fe901b0815ee20d0d

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Interesting to note that while most foot shifts and ES's have the same transmissions in them, the 450s actually have different transmission gears between the two.

The 450 ES transmission is designed to shift easier, but is not as durable as the 450 foot shift transmission.

350's, 420's, 500's the transmissions are the same whether ES or footshift. 

This is the 04 450ES engine I've been working on this week. 

IMG_4975.jpeg

you are correct..the 450FM/S trannies are not the same as ES models. if ya ever tear down a trx400fw ?, every part in the engine is the same as a trx450fm !.

8 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have on backorder two right tank covers, adventure green, for a 2008 TRX500FM.   $29.63 each.   I placed that order on 1/17/23.  

They are still available to backorder.  Current price is $866.95 at Partzilla.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/83550-HP0-B80ZA?ref=abd1ffd23bd6eefed0dd353fe901b0815ee20d0d

wow !!. if you ever need a tan fender set ( no pull starter cover though )..catfish has a complete fender set out at his place. i know this for a fact..i robbed the fender flares off it yesterday...lol. all tan fenders, fuel tank sides, front and back fenders are there, even still have the tail lights in the rear fender !..lol. this is for a trx400fw by the way.

• Like 2

update: got up around 9am, got an email saying my complete engine gasket kit, and Namura piston kit is out for delivery today?, looks like i can get the lower engine back together, and get the cylinder bored over for the new piston. i am dragging my rear today. i've been working my butt off on tearing this project down one piece at a time..hey..i should play me some johnny cash '' one piece at a time '' !..lol.

have to edit this, just thought about the cam chain not getting here yet ?, sooo..i can only go as far as putting the lower two main cases back together. i will have to stop once i get to where i need the cam chain before i can install the centrifugal clutch.

• Like 2

update: got as far as i can for the engine until i get my cam chain. discovered lastnight that the axle splines where the ring gear rides are shot, as well as the ring gear splines. so that ruins that part of the rear end..lol. but !!, i will get back out to my buds place, and pull the rear end out of that trx400fw, and see what shape its in ?. not sure when i will get back out there ?, i've got a few things to do before i head to the deer camp this weekend to go kill some hogs eating my deer corn !. here's a couple pics of the engine '' some what '' back together.

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

• Like 2

for got to mention, i got my piston kit in today, i ordered a .50, which is 2 sizes over std piston size. took it out of the box, perfect fit for my ready to use cylinder.

Order a Cam Chain from G&H or ?   Mine came pretty quick for the 450 I just got back together. 

I'm finally beating you on one!   Of course, I've been working on this one since mid September!

IMG_5006.jpeg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Order a Cam Chain from G&H or ?   Mine came pretty quick for the 450 I just got back together. 

I'm finally beating you on one!   Of course, I've been working on this one since mid September!

i ordered the cam chain from ebay, which by the way was g&h discount atv !!..but...when i/you go to track it ?..it does not ship from tn !. it ships out of a wharehouse god knows where ??..lol.

22 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

IMG_5006.jpeg

ummm..i just started this..what...5 days ago ?..and..i'm doing a ground up resto !..considering what i am doing...and all you are doing is the engine ?..i'd say i'm way ahead of you..rofl. this is down to bare frame..i have been going non stop at this from the time it hit my shop..to now i got the bare frame out in the back yard..lol.

• Haha 1