Austin

Electric shift

2001 Trx350fe getting nothing out of the shift buttons. Explained in a previous post that the person I bought it from welded a shifter on. Works through all gears with foot shifter. Don’t want to continue to use it that way. Ordered new oem shift motor and tilt sensor. When the bike is running and I hit the shift buttons I get zero no sound no nothing. Haven’t put new parts on yet. Waiting on the tilt sensor to show up. Anyone have any pointers other than what I’ve already purchased? 

13 hours ago, Austin said:

2001 Trx350fe getting nothing out of the shift buttons. Explained in a previous post that the person I bought it from welded a shifter on. Works through all gears with foot shifter. Don’t want to continue to use it that way. Ordered new oem shift motor and tilt sensor. When the bike is running and I hit the shift buttons I get zero no sound no nothing. Haven’t put new parts on yet. Waiting on the tilt sensor to show up. Anyone have any pointers other than what I’ve already purchased? 

have you checked the shift motor to see if its good ?, you can pull just the shift motor, run 12vdc power to it to see if it spins ?. if it does spin ?, then its time to dig deeper. it can be anything from the ecu ?, maybe a bad wire harness connection at the shift motor and angle sensor ?. maybe bad shift buttons ?. all the way to behind the clutch cover with some stripped out shifting splines from the shifting transfer gears to the shifting shaft right there on the end of the main shifting shaft. tons of folks weld a foot shifter to the shaft sticking out the left side by the foot rest, WHAT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND OR KNOW IS ?..THE MAIN SHIFTING SHAFT AT THE END AT THE FRONT IS NOT MADE BIG ENOUGH TO HANDLE THE TORQUE LOAD AT THE SPLINES !?!..this shift splines is smaller than a manual shift main shifting shaft splines.

• Like 1

Agree with Shade.   You need to check your current shift motor by jumping 12V to it.  

Did you read @retro's sticky on ES machines?  Downloaded the free factory service manual from the "service manuals" link in the toolbar?

You have a lot of wiring and a computer telling that shift motor when to shift.   Bypass kits have become popular since they basically bypass the computer and angle sensor and just supply 12V to the shift motor.   

So you'll likely have to do a lot of troubleshooting to get it working in factory form, or get a bypass kit to just get it working.   I'm sure there are some risks/drawbacks with the bypass system, but I don't tend to do much on ES machines so maybe Retro can chime in with some advice.

All of that said, don't throw parts at it.  You have shift buttons, wiring, a computer, and angle sensor that communicates with said computer, and a shift motor.   That's the system.   Troubleshoot the components instead of replacing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Agree with Shade.   You need to check your current shift motor by jumping 12V to it.  

Did you read @retro's sticky on ES machines?  Downloaded the free factory service manual from the "service manuals" link in the toolbar?

You have a lot of wiring and a computer telling that shift motor when to shift.   Bypass kits have become popular since they basically bypass the computer and angle sensor and just supply 12V to the shift motor.   

So you'll likely have to do a lot of troubleshooting to get it working in factory form, or get a bypass kit to just get it working.   I'm sure there are some risks/drawbacks with the bypass system, but I don't tend to do much on ES machines so maybe Retro can chime in with some advice.

All of that said, don't throw parts at it.  You have shift buttons, wiring, a computer, and angle sensor that communicates with said computer, and a shift motor.   That's the system.   Troubleshoot the components instead of replacing.

its not just eletronics that make it shift ?!, you must figure in the mechanical side as well, this takes place with the parts from shift motor to main shifting shaft. time after time i have seen the end of the main shifting shaft splines strip out because of the load on it when shifting by foot. also the transfer gears that work off the shifting motor, they tend to snap off a tooth or two.

• Like 1

Yeah, but if he's not getting any noise from the shift motor he has electrical/computer issues.   Probably would be a good idea to pull the shift motor and verify that the gears under the shift motor are moving when he shifts using the foot shifter.

• Like 2

Did you check with  a meter or test light to see if the buttons are working? I have seen it before where the wire harness connectors  on the shift switch assembly  were dirty. Just another thing to check...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah, but if he's not getting any noise from the shift motor he has electrical/computer issues.   Probably would be a good idea to pull the shift motor and verify that the gears under the shift motor are moving when he shifts using the foot shifter.

agreed. i was just mkaing it a point..its not all about the electronics is what i was saying. but i do agree..start with finding out if the shift motor is working or not ? i have seen many shift motors magnets break inside the shift motor housing, very common on the early trx350te ranchers back in the day.

What most people completely miss is the fact that the emergency shifter was only intended to get you home if (when?) the ES takes a !. You can’t just bubba rig a shifter on there and be good. Jeez people irritate me. Honda spent a lot of money to make the system work a specific way. If you do something to change that, it likely won’t work or last like intended. Sorry, I didn’t add anything useful, but I do feel a little better….

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigcountry78 said:

What most people completely miss is the fact that the emergency shifter was only intended to get you home if (when?) the ES takes a !. You can’t just bubba rig a shifter on there and be good. Jeez people irritate me. Honda spent a lot of money to make the system work a specific way. If you do something to change that, it likely won’t work or last like intended. Sorry, I didn’t add anything useful, but I do feel a little better….

oh it was useful, but...as it always goes..some stupid ppl stay stupid !..lol.

• Like 1