jeepwm69

06 Foreman 500FM with no spark

Buddy did the "drop and run" with his 06 Foreman late last week.  Said it lost spark. 

He got into some deep water with it towards the end of duck season, but didn't swamp it.  Said it ran fine when he parked it, but now after sitting a couple of weeks it won't start.

Oil was clean, display and neutral light come on like they should with the key on.  Fuses are good.  I pulled the spark plug wire and put it on a new spark plug, grounded it to the engine, and no spark. 

Swapped on an extra coil I had handy, and checked, cleaned, and dialectic greased the regulator plugs, and still nothing.

That's where I left it.  Guessing he has moisture somewhere that's not allowing a good connection.

Part of me says I'll tear into the FSM and start checking stuff over with a voltmeter, but I think instead I'm going to tell him to get it and take it to a shop, because I'm tired of working on other people's crap while my own stuff sits. 

When he bought this machine 4-5 years ago 1st gear was out, and I told him I would fix it for him, and now that my shop is finally cleaned out I've torn down an extra 500 motor I had with the intention of rebuiling and swapping into his machine.  That said, I can put a motor together in the early pre-dawn hours, and swap it in.  Tracking down electrical gremlins is time consuming and frustrating.

Anything simple that I might have missed here?  Think I'm going to tell him to take it to a shop and get it running, and then he can bring it back and I'll swap the motors out for him.

do you have a c.d.i. from another trx500 ?. if ya do ?, give that a shot first.

• Thanks 1

I would start with checking the stator connector, even if it's been greased.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I had a similar situation on my 06 and it ended up being fixed when I took the CDI off and greased the plugs.  I do have an extra one around here somewhere.  I just don't know if I really want to go through the trouble of pulling all that crap off the front to get to the CDI though.  Think I might tell him to come get it and HE can pull all the crap off, then WE can take all the plugs apart and grease them.

The stator connection I can do pretty easily.  Will try that first.

On the one hand, I try to help out my friends.  On the other hand, I'm pretty much training them to tear their crap up and then bring it to me to fix.  It conditions them to not take care of their stuff when they know they can get it fixed for free.  In this case, he floated his wheeler trying to duck hunt when the river was way up.  He didn't get water in the oil, but he said he had to get off and walk the wheeler across a ditch, and that the tires were enough to float it across.

Every time I fix one, someone wants to drop off another.  It's never-ending.

Really stressed lately about time, or a lack thereof.  Not enough hours in the day to do 1/2 of what needs to be done around here. 

• Like 1

jeep...we all go through those stages in life...those too shall pass. get you some good coffee and take a break...lol derf

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah, I had a similar situation on my 06 and it ended up being fixed when I took the CDI off and greased the plugs.  I do have an extra one around here somewhere.  I just don't know if I really want to go through the trouble of pulling all that crap off the front to get to the CDI though.  Think I might tell him to come get it and HE can pull all the crap off, then WE can take all the plugs apart and grease them.

The stator connection I can do pretty easily.  Will try that first.

On the one hand, I try to help out my friends.  On the other hand, I'm pretty much training them to tear their crap up and then bring it to me to fix.  It conditions them to not take care of their stuff when they know they can get it fixed for free.  In this case, he floated his wheeler trying to duck hunt when the river was way up.  He didn't get water in the oil, but he said he had to get off and walk the wheeler across a ditch, and that the tires were enough to float it across.

Every time I fix one, someone wants to drop off another.  It's never-ending.

Really stressed lately about time, or a lack thereof.  Not enough hours in the day to do 1/2 of what needs to be done around here. 

i'll bet ya a dollar to a doughnut , if ya tell them the next time they will have to pay you to fix it ?, they might think twice before they tear it up, then bring it to ya !..lol.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:01 AM, toodeep said:

I would start with checking the stator connector, even if it's been greased.

\

My buddy owes you a 12 pack.

Now the question is, how the heck do I reconnect this wire when it broke off that close to the plug? 

Not an immediate problem since I had a rebuilt different motor ready to swap in, but I'll need to rebuild his old one at some point and that wire will have to be reattached.

stator.JPG

Just pull the rubber seal out and there will be enough to solder it or replace the terminal. 

20200309_110913.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ShawnB85 said:

Check the pickup that is mounted beside the stator. I lost my spark and that was my problem. 

It ended up being a broken wire at the plug going to the stator.  I got it fixed.  Thanks for the response though!