You make it I break it

Neutral safety switch not working

The solenoid is bad. You are forcing the solenoid to work when jumping the terminals. But it should be able to do it on its own. Replace the solenoid with an oem one please. Save yourself the headache of aftermarket junk. We all have one being used as a paper weight somewhere lol. Had to learn for ourselves. Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the site  , would guess you have a TRX300FW Fourtrax ( which is the 4wd utility quad )  , you typed Twd

I would guess you are jumping the two big wires at the  solenoid to make the starter spin , if that is the case then it is possible for the solenoid to be good and the problem be the neutral switch as you have in your thread / or in the wiring / or even the push button ----- if you have a test light you can probe the small wires going to the solenoid and while pushing the starter button in with the ignition on see if there is voltage and ground going to  the solenoid to activate it , if you do have voltage and no ground , then make  sure you got a ground by putting a jumper wire to the neutral switch wire , if it starts with the ground jumped then it is the neutral switch 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I didnt even notice him saying anything about the safety switch? I took it as everything was normal but it wouldnt start with the start switch but would if he jumped the solenoid? I have never jumped a solenoid to start a quad that had any other problem. 100% of the time it has been a bad solenoid for me. Im tuned in!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, You make it I break it said:

Sorry I meant 2wd I have 2 solenoids neither work the neutral light doesn't come on

If the neutral light isnt on its not gunna crank with the start switch period. If you ground the wire to the neutral safety switch it should turn the green light on and turn over with the start button. If it does your neutral safety switch is at fault. If it doesnt still then you have a start switch issue or wiring issue somewhere.

• Thanks 1

Two solenoids ? hmmm  , what's up with that ---like to see a pic of that 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, You make it I break it said:

Sorry I meant 2wd I have 2 solenoids neither work the neutral light doesn't come on

I take that as ,  you tried two different solenoids with the same results , eh!!!--- 2wd and 4wd are the same as far as the starting systems go , so call yours a 96 TRX300A Fourtrax 

• Thanks 1

it will never crank unless the neutral light lights up on the dash.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

If the neutral light isnt on its not gunna crank with the start switch period. If you ground the wire to the neutral safety switch it should turn the green light on and turn over with the start button. If it does your neutral safety switch is at fault. If it doesnt still then you have a start switch issue or wiring issue somewhere.

How would I do that

Take the wire off the neutral safety switch. Should just be one wire. I cant tell you with 100% certainty where it is on a utility style quad. But all the sport quads i have worked on it was right behind the foot shift lever. Take that wire and ground it anywhere. A bolt. Any clean metal. Green light should come on and it should crank.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SlammedRanger said:

Take the wire off the neutral safety switch. Should just be one wire. I cant tell you with 100% certainty where it is on a utility style quad. But all the sport quads i have worked on it was right behind the foot shift lever. Take that wire and ground it anywhere. A bolt. Any clean metal. Anything. Green light should come on and it should crank.

Ok I'll give it a shot I have to do a couple other things like unfreezing the back brakes but when I'm done tomorrow I will find the wire and test it

• Like 1