SlammedRanger

Around the garage: truck exhuast install

So after 8 years of road salt my 2012 ram 2500s exhaust was rotting off. Seems dodge used stainless for the y-pipe at the front. But cat back used crap. So the search was on for a cheap yet quiet cat back option. I settled on the mbrp single out 3" with no tip.(not into flashy things on my truck). I was really hopeful it would be reasonably quiet. Long story short it wasnt. Annoyingly loud. But i did take the install to hone my welding skills a bit. I was pretty proud of my welds.(take it easy on me! This is my 3rd time welding and first time welding exhaust) I ended up installing a 2 chamber muffler passed the rear axle for more sound removal and it helped alot! I can drive without being annoyed atleast.

Resized_20200408_191048.jpeg

Resized_20200408_191058.jpeg

• Like 3

Heres the muffler i installed passed the axle. Served the purpose 100%. Now time will tell how long it can stand the rust belt! LoL

Screenshot_20200417-073230_eBay.jpg

looks good! my Cummings ended rusting / burning out (from the cat back)  and went with a straight pipe ... and yep it's very bothersome .... why some guys like that racket is beyond me. it's just silly to try and make a semi tractor out of a small one ton. ... little dogs should stay on the porch ... lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For your 3rd time welding , that is some nice looking weld

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

plus one ^^ you should see my stick welding ... it reminds me of chickens lol! 

Grape vines is one welding term to discribe a not so easy on your eyes weld. Another is gorilla.  Ugly but strong.  

• Like 1

Here is the muffler installed

Hand to god. 3rd time welding. I did have some extra pipe that came with the kit. I had to do some shortening because the kit fits mega cab and long bed trucks. And my truck is a crew cab short bed. So i had a place to dial in the welder and do some test passes. A good buddy of mines brother is a structural welder so he told me what to look for and what to listen for to dial in the machine. Honestly that is the most important part. Anybody can weld good with a properly setup welder.

20200417_084248.jpg

• Like 3

wire welding, i cant get the hang of it with my machine. it skips on the feed. time to give up the problem, an get a good welder.

Are you running gas with that welder ?    If not  ,  get off the flux core and use some  75%/25% , makes a difference --- should have taken the time to smooth out that tack at the end , I have trouble sometimes smoothing  into a tack 

X5RN2F+eRkSt2w9dU0gH1Q.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah it was my buddys miller. Its gas not flux core. His brother looked at it and said i had my wire feed alittle to high. But for as few times as i have welded thats understandable.

• Like 1

i wasnt using gas, what kind of wire i was using, i have to find. my weld didnt look nothing like that. wires sticking out an such. i did good with a stick welder, an a wire welder before, neither was mine.

• Like 1

I have a coupe of friends who are both welders , Johnny owns New Orleans Weld and Fab and Maurice works for Textron , these guys are the two best welders I ever been around , they give me a few pointers here and there ------  I did do some welding classes years ago ---- I enjoy fabrication more than the actually running of the beads 

• Like 2

fish next time you see them .. ask them if they've ever heard of Steve Williamson ... he teaches machining black smithing and such in a couple states .... he can weld just about anything ... he was also involed in making a bridge port mill  .. i take it you've heard of that old saying ... you can make a bridge port mill using another bridge port ? 

only fault ... he owns a honda 420 .... but at least he's told me he's wanting to upgrade ... 

• Like 1