Fifthcorps

1995 TRX300 Charging system

My stock '95 TRX300 only has one additional accessory and that is a pair of halogen 55 watt driving lights. If the extra lights are used for several minutes I've noticed that they drain the battery which is brand new (I also tried another new battery from my other machine to eliminate the battery) to the point where it doesn't have enough juice to start it with the starter. Are the 2 55 watt lamps too much pull on this charging system? If so what do you recommend for extra light in their place? Thanks in advance.

driving lights, or bulbs ? in the stock lamps ?  i run 55 watt halogen bulbs in the oem glass lenses never had an issue, but it is a strain on the charging system, do you have any charging issues going on ? 

They are 2 driving lamps each with an H3 55 watt bulb installed on the bar as a supplement for the headlamps. 

I don't believe the 300 charging system will keep up with that.  I would suggest swapping in some LED bulbs.  They draw a lot less power than incandescent.

• Like 2

i would talk to @Melatv 

but how's the bikes charging system ? will it charge the battery when the lights are off ? and have you ever ran the bike with (week battery) no battery in it ? jeeps right, they are not made to handle that much. 25 watt bulbs are stock if memory serves me right. 

Using only the headlamps with the driving lights off it charges just fine. I'll try a couple of led replacements for the driving lamps. Thanks!

• Like 1

i can tell ya right now, thats too much of a load on the charging system for that atv.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i can tell ya right now, thats too much of a load on the charging system for that atv.

It certainly seems to be. Is there a particular light bar or bulb you'd recommend? 

9 minutes ago, Fifthcorps said:

It certainly seems to be. Is there a particular light bar or bulb you'd recommend? 

sorry, i do not run anything on my atv but stock. what i can tell ya is..if you want more light ?, deff use LED !

1 hour ago, Fifthcorps said:

I used one like this on my kid's 300.  I used an angle grinder and cut out the center pipe on the front rack, and then the light bar fit under the hoop, protecting it, and not wasting any of my rack space up top.

20 inch, 54W, single row.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20inch-54W-Led-Work-Light-Bar-Spot-Beam-Slim-Single-Row-Driving-Offroad-Lamp-UTE/174215571457?hash=item28900ea801:g:iOkAAOSwZDleZwtE

I wired it into the high beam wire.

You can see it on the 300 on the left.

girls.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I used one like this on my kid's 300.  I used an angle grinder and cut out the center pipe on the front rack, and then the light bar fit under the hoop, protecting it, and not wasting any of my rack space up top.

20 inch, 54W, single row.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20inch-54W-Led-Work-Light-Bar-Spot-Beam-Slim-Single-Row-Driving-Offroad-Lamp-UTE/174215571457?hash=item28900ea801:g:iOkAAOSwZDleZwtE

I wired it into the high beam wire.

You can see it on the 300 on the left.

girls.jpg

I ordered the same one, it finally showed the other day and I will say for $30 it is pretty incredible. It gives out great light and only took about 10 minutes to install. I'm going to order another one to put on my 350. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2