Wheeler

Let’s Try Painting AGAIN…

@Fishfiles u called it! U know how I am! I just sanded & re-sprayed with primer. BOYZ! I’m a goof. I didn’t mix the primer first yesterday!! I stored all the chunks up & it covered beautifully! Way better than before. Gave me practice with the gun & applying everything I learned off YouTube. Haha. Guns clean, base is going on!

thanks guys. I’ll post back later!

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Laid down really nice! Had one hiccup with air cap on gun which I corrected. 

3 coats 2k primer. 3 coats base, 2 coats clear. It’s really hot now but it’s evening out nice. No runs at all. But there is some orange peel. I’m VERY pleased with the way it came out.  Now to let it set up, & on week end I’ll 2000grit wet sand & Polish with Meguiars. 

considering I’ve never actually sprayed I think I did really well considering it’s metallic paint too! 

60-90hrs if YouTube sure helped. Learned how to properly set my paint gun ect. So huge shoot out to “Paint Society” & Urban Under Ground Paint King! There channels helped me immensely!!!!

oh for the record.. rustoleum & acetone is a really bad mixture in my opining. That can I painted still smells brutal. That’s why I got super sick last winter!!! These fumes went away fast! No over spray either. Garage door remained open entire time too..

2AFB15DB-C8FD-48DF-8223-5B4962C41D0D.jpeg

5046681E-C646-44D5-8713-D9A1C2667419.jpeg

803C63A4-DD8B-4798-AD75-6E0273DF7A28.jpeg

AF5A0E35-4857-4323-80C8-EA4DB57242BD.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 6

So learned a few things today. Sure wish I knew them prior to painting metallics! So I sprayed across the tailgate length ways. Which is fine. However I may ot of had properly done the 50% overlap I wanted. So after I was done the one way, say east to west, I then should have increased my psi 2lbs & raised higher away from panel & went north to south. 

(in pic two, u my notice a small what they call it tiger stripe. That’s what I was talking about above)

Again, all in all im very happy! But now I know prior to my hood. Here it is I the sun…  

Today I bought the wool buff pad & foam polish pad for after I 2000grit wet sand. 

DFBD1A2E-4445-4D57-8DBC-72E6E485A2B2.jpeg

CE1AC13B-F3B6-4495-A249-D66EDC950619.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

looks good to me, did you lay one thin coats ? and matallic paints..... i bet those can be tricky to get right. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 3:44 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

looks good to me, did you lay one thin coats ? and matallic paints..... i bet those can be tricky to get right. 

i thought I laid have decent coats down. I do think my first layer of clear was a little thick… I’ve backed it on & off in sun today. Tomorrow “light” wet sand & buff. 

pics to follow..

Well this am I got er “light” wet sanded, cut with wool pad, & polished. I went very light on all as I’m new to this. Got the tailgate on. Looks clean! Tad darker than the rest but I’m ok with that. 

However… I WRECKED ALL MY EFFORTS!!!  It’s been 3 days so after all this, I went to install a new bezel around the handle, & this happened!! 

92F05EE4-E6F7-473F-821C-10D06A001876.jpeg

E2E9C025-7D24-4FB5-8D2C-C19A6536DD72.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Well this am I got er “light” wet sanded, cut with wool pad, & polished. I went very light on all as I’m new to this. Got the tailgate on. Looks clean! Tad darker than the rest but I’m ok with that. 

However… I WRECKED ALL MY EFFORTS!!!  It’s been 3 days so after all this, I went to install a new bezel around the handle, & this happened!! 

92F05EE4-E6F7-473F-821C-10D06A001876.jpeg

E2E9C025-7D24-4FB5-8D2C-C19A6536DD72.jpeg

let me guess, the paint was not cured/dry enough, and flaked up ?. bummer.

• Like 2

My buddy just told me how to fix this using blending agent & standing. So I’ll let this cure more, then in two weeks I’ll “attempt” the fix… worst case a full re do. & if I do two coats of base instead of three, might be lighter & match hair better..

• Like 1