Wheeler

Let’s Try Painting AGAIN…

Well, after my last escapade of getting gassed, I’ve done more prep & new paint gun (under warranty). Got er all cleaned & set up. Everything was working perfect. So before I attempt my hood & tailgate, wife wanted this can painted. As it sits outside on porch, I used the rustoleum black mixed 3-1 with acetone. Everything went flawlessly!! Cleaning the gun sucks. I’ve got er clean ASAP, but it’s a pain. I’ll get better at it for sure. Hers the results after two coats. My truck hood & tailgate will be done in next couple of weeks. I’ll keep ya’lol posted. 

CC28AD3D-EF7D-423B-8D30-05CD256696C4.jpeg

916D7041-E9BB-4806-B940-6C6882B5E3E7.jpeg

30F09187-8EEA-43BB-95EE-13DE2F67025E.jpeg

201CAE70-61EB-4E6D-B7E4-F1AC8DA9FAF8.jpeg

3ADBE114-F860-46BD-A037-9482ECF7E441.jpeg

06B2F67E-879F-47DD-8A28-BCE2065E49AD.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

gassed again ? didn't we talk about this in chat a few months ago ? how many times is this now, you are talking paint fumes ? oh that milk can would bring big bucks down my way, if the bottom is still good, even if it's not it would still bring good money to the right person, hang onto it! 

• Like 1

No No @_Wilson_™ I never got gassed again. Just saying I’m now all set up better. Getting new fan for garage before I do hood & tailgate as well. Ya wife I to old stuff like this. Not a clue what it’s worth..

• Like 1

oh okay, my bad... hm.... I'd check with fish, on the value, i have one up here, but the bottom is gone, the rest looks good, I've had a few people ask me, but i never talked about selling it, i would just say, I'm not pricing it, so don't offer, i also had my mail box mounted in one, concreted and all glossy black, why it wasnt stolen for years, i have no clue, but after i changed my mail box to a post, i made the misstake of giving the can away, but the can was full of concrete, no telling what it weighed, you still see mail boxes mounted like that, but most times those are very close to the residents, and my drive is Purdy long, anyways it's a collectible. 

i thought the beast was all finished up, you are talking about the 383 stroker Z71 chevy ? or a defrent truck ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Yup same truck.. I’ve had more issues I’m ironing out. (Contemplating Supercharger for $6500). Yes the bottom in the can is solid. I knew it was an old milk can but had no idea it may ha e value.  

• Like 1

Milk jugs are not my expertise , the only milk related thing I have is a gauge which looks like a ruler that measures gallons in the cans , I's guess $50-100 for a big milk can like that ---I would have liked it better flat black 

Supercharger , eh !!! , then 3 stage nitrous ???? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Milk jugs are not my expertise , the only milk related thing I have is a gauge which looks like a ruler that measures gallons in the cans , I's guess $50-100 for a big milk can like that ---I would have liked it better flat black 

Supercharger , eh !!! , then 3 stage nitrous ???? 

lol. I used the paint I had on hand… supercharger just an “idea” !. I asked wife what she paid for it. $70. Now to paint the door! Lol

F8A51050-27BA-4F9B-A75B-05B31A7DED5D.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

super charger ? okay i get the idea your end idea is a dragster, lol, some of you guys i just can't figure out, but it's all good. 

thank you fish, i figured if anyone here had an idea on collectibles it would you, wheeler, it looks good, keep it! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Haha 1

While on the subject of milk cans, the "farm" I ride was originally my great grandfather's dairy farm.

Permit #2 LOL

milk.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Wheeler said:

lol. I used the paint I had on hand… supercharger just an “idea” !. I asked wife what she paid for it. $70. Now to paint the door! Lol

F8A51050-27BA-4F9B-A75B-05B31A7DED5D.jpeg

It looks good painted , not as glossy next to the house , they have a couple of them at  the flea market , if I remember , I am going to ask how much tomorrow -------  would guess with no dents , they could go for $200 ---- I have been going on a milk company demo job  in New Orleans , it has been going on for a couple of months now , it was about 2 city blocks big , Brown's Velvet was the name of the place , real old school , but  by they till out I went out there , there wasn't much to salvage , did get some stainless steel door that I might be able to make something out of some day ---- would have like to been one of the first ones out there , them glass milk bottles with the steel racks are valuable , when I was a kid that is how we got our milk delivered 

• Like 2

i recall those old glass milk jars, i have one here some place, my older sister might have it, it had some printing that was formed in the mold when it was poured from molten glass, i believe this might be a twin (pic) fish i figured youd run up all kinds of collectible items on the jobs you go to. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

I never was into collecting bottles , have picked many up out the mud over the years , use to give them to this guy Walter  that worked with us ---- I was on a cool demo job yesterday , an entire neighborhood flooded last year in Gonzales , FEMA bought all 35 home owners out and they leveled it , houses , slabs , streets , power lines , sewer pipes , turning it into green space ---yesterday the operator was pulling up all the street light poles  , but the subdivision was built in 1985 so he said and all the lights were those old school mercury vapor lights , not worth taking , if they would have been the LEDs I would have been all over them   

I think the coolest thing I ever pulled out the mud with historical value is a 3 pound cannon ball from Meraux , La , found it with my metal detector where they had been digging , Meraux is on the bank of the Mississippi River south of new Orleans , where Andrew Jackson and Jean Lafitte teamed up to fight the British in the War of 1812 , the 3 pounder was a naval load and they say that is what Lafitte was shooting , very good chance this cannonball  was shoot by Lafitte 

• Like 2

Have everything.. tailgate getting painted this week! Watched a lot more YouTube today preparing myself too! HA!

7505C8C5-4759-4E3C-AC20-A35395E12397.jpeg

• Like 4

You look prepared , except for the respirator , LOL   --- good luck , lay it smooth !!! 

• Haha 1

Respiratory in the cupboard, & orbital I’m picking up tomorrow!

• Like 2

It’s begun… GAWD HELP ME! LOL!!

Using 3M wheel to remove all the 3M tape lol. How ironic. 

Believe it or not, that bare metal was under the bed cap, & not rusted! 

in pic 3 u can see garage door reflection not straight, 2 small dents gonna get fixed..

hope all the chips & marks show in in the two outside pics. 

399113DE-2105-42FA-B610-432E2A474734.jpeg

2448FF7F-0E99-46BE-B3F1-0C535AF74822.jpeg

A2A6DECC-3537-461B-88F1-CE869051F0DF.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D2E293FF-6FC5-44AF-BBF8-29F8DC791EAD.jpeg

7933AEC2-F8F4-4D81-B196-38D8942CE799.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Learning curve.. been sandin with 180 on orbital to start. Should ha e went with 120. The chips are taking forever to sand down. 

Got 2 coats of primer on. WOW even with a 1.7 tip it was super thin. Gonna be insane hot today. So my plan is just to sand the primer, & have it totally prepped for paint & clear. I had filled the two super small dents but can still see them a hair. Guess I sanded the bondo down too much. I even used guide coat. IF I can lay the rest of the paint down like the primer, I’ll be super happy! Not perfect but perfect for me!

E20B2EF8-0546-4A9F-B68A-4E7CFAFD5CBA.jpeg

B1E40565-E65B-4084-9437-F93F28BD6F12.jpeg

• Like 6

If you really want to get picky on the mini dents, lightly mist some flat black over the primer and block wet sand the black off.  You'll see the low spots.  This ain't cheap since a block of wood may set you back a days wages😳😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I did the body work on my truck utility bed , thought I had it pretty good after I shot it with primer , my buddy is a painter , he hit it with primer ,  then sealer and then paint  and them little imperfections really show up with the paint --- it looks good in the pic , but  I know how you are , make sure you really like it  , before wasting paint and doing it again  , cause that paint is going to make them little dings and scratches show up 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. There are no scratches that won’t be hidden by the tailgate cap. The tiny dents I can live with. I’m this far in now & can live with them. As long as I can lay the base down clean, I’ll be happy. If the clear had fish eyes or what ever I can wet sand that.. fingers crossed. (It’s too hot to finish it today!) It’s 98.6F or 37c. Been a scorcher! I’ll try to prep & be ready early am! I did use guide coat looking for low spots too! Somehow I just missed them!

here are some close ups..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

i see you painted a ton of dents in that milk can ?..lol. tail gate looks great !.

• Haha 2