BrianD

2001 TRX450ES meter blanks out when cold

The LCD meter display on my 2001 TRX450ES goes completely blank when the temperature drops into the 30’s which is very inconvenient since I do most of my riding in the Fall and Winter. Other warmer times of the year and later in the day after a cold morning it works fine. The indicator lights are okay but the LCD display just goes blank.  It’s been this way for about 3+ years and I realize now that I should have replaced the 37200-HDO-A61 meter unit earlier when they were available. Now I can’t find any source that has them. Wondering if anybody might have a source for a functional used meter, a work around or a lead as to how I might get this temperature related problem diagnosed and fixed. I’m assuming it is being caused by some shrinkage or contraction of an electrical connection within the meter’s circuit board or maybe elsewhere in the wiring harness. Thanks.

@AKATV has repaired a number of those meters, you might check with him, does sound like a connection effected by temp changes, this would be a first it's been posted about (i believe) 

welcome to the forums, Brian. 

Hi BrianD

Welcome to the forums!

I can repair your board for you, sounds like a fractured solder connection that is just touching and shrinking in cold weather

you could possibly have a failing component on the board as well

If you would like me to repair I have sent you my contact information in a message

I guarantee/warranty all my work and if I am unable to repair it it there is no charge

I have not had one I could not repair so far, although  I had a few that were so water damaged they were not cost effective to attempt repair....

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

Hey Brian welcome to the forum and I see you have made the right connections to get your meter looked at.

• Like 1

Thanks All.  Very relieved to know that a solution exists and I am making contact with AKATV.

• Like 1