Ok, yesterday I was dissembling the rear breaks because they were completely frozen and need new parts. I was trying to take the brakes pads and cam rod out and slightly chip the little lip that holds the large o-ring on the inside of that brake panel. They were all small chips in maybe 4 or 5 different places. I would say the chips are about 1/8 of a inch or smaller. Would that affect the piece or does it need to be replaced? 

are you talking about the pry slots in those backing plates panels  ..... i take it those are what are chipped away ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™

A picture would be best to make a judgement , sounds like you chipped the groove where the o-ring sets , some sealant could take care of that 

agreed ^^^^^ this sounds like what he might be talking about the small slot.... exactly  between the bolt holes, and the four or five that have been chipped away, makes me think these slots also. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

Ok, I lied! Not really, but I thought the chips were smaller. I had to bang the crap out of it to get that pin thing out and when I flipped it over, I found these chips.

843FCF04-AA93-4D86-A2D3-29D9A60EFD81.jpeg

3EFB5EA0-52FB-48DF-B142-4BACEB05103D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I have had a few like that, I wire brush it good and put some  original JB weld on it, let it set up for 24 hours then can grind it down and reform the lip, it has worked very well for me you can’t even see the repair and it’s super solid 

also, you could just put some RTV sealant on there too, might be a little harder to remove next time though

please stop calling this atv a trx450fm..it is a trx450ES !!. but the rear brake on both models are the same. what you found is the rear backing plate where the large o-ring lip was busted, very common on rear brakes when they do not get serviced much, owners tend to hammer on them, then they break them !. never hammer on the brake shoe cam !, spec where the lever attaches to on the outside ?, it mushrooms, then you can't get the cam back through the backing plate, let alone get the lever back on it. edit: was confirmed, this is an fm model, my mistake.

• Like 1

No, it’s a FM. It has ES plastics. It does not have a electric shift. It has the foot pedal to change gears and there is no shift button on the handle bars. I downloaded the manual the other day. I’m just trying to figure out if the bottom end is good before I start ordering parts to get it back together. 

1AFC3F94-558F-4A2B-AC56-CE0134FEB8E4.jpeg

32 minutes ago, DLBeltran74 said:

No, it’s a FM. It has ES plastics. It does not have a electric shift. It has the foot pedal to change gears and there is no shift button on the handle bars. I downloaded the manual the other day. I’m just trying to figure out if the bottom end is good before I start ordering parts to get it back together. 

1AFC3F94-558F-4A2B-AC56-CE0134FEB8E4.jpeg

good deal, ty for the pic, you are correct, that is a fm model !. we will get you fixed up !.