hittman1969

Constantly cranking

Have a 2013 Foreman 420.  Been sitting a while, now trying to get her going.  Replaced battery and starter solenoid.  Now, even with key off, it is constantly cranking.  Had to disconnect battery.  What could be issue??  

Hi. Welcome to the forum. First guess is you got the wires mixed up on the solenoid when you installed it.   Second guess you got a bad solenoid.  Is the solenoid after market ? 

• Like 3

wired wrong from battery would be my first guess as well. or a bad starter solenoid would be my second guess..or both !.

• Like 2

Didn’t buy an OEM solenoid, and either wired it improperly or the solenoid poles are different than OEM.

why did you replace the solenoid?

go to the OEM parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. Only buy OEM parts 

no one mentioned this so i thought i would (tad late to the post) this bike was starting good when you parked it ? did you see a y rodent damage (mice chewed wires) i would go with the fellows ^^^^^ just bringing this up because it's happened before especially when a bike is stored for a long time, and welcome to the forums! 

On 5/14/2022 at 11:02 PM, Goober said:

Didn’t buy an OEM solenoid, and either wired it improperly or the solenoid poles are different than OEM.

why did you replace the solenoid?

go to the OEM parts finder at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla. Only buy OEM parts 

D A M N  rat chewed up wires.  I did purchase a Honda solenoid from dealership.  I considered possibility wired wrong also, so reversed them and had same issue.

Edited by hittman1969

3 hours ago, hittman1969 said:

D A M N  rat chewed up wires.  I did purchase a Honda solenoid from dealership.  I considered possibility wired wrong also, so reversed them and had same issue.

make sure to check the battery leads from battery to ground, and battery to solenoid, then from solenoid to starter, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEM CONNECTED IN THE RIGHT ORDER !.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:40 PM, hittman1969 said:

OK.  Installed another NEW solenoid and is wired properly (Yellow to positive).  Same issue.  Is there another relay that could be stuck??

On 5/16/2022 at 10:00 AM, _Wilson_™ said:

no one mentioned this so i thought i would (tad late to the post) this bike was starting good when you parked it ? did you see a y rodent damage (mice chewed wires) i would go with the fellows ^^^^^ just bringing this up because it's happened before especially when a bike is stored for a long time, and welcome to the forums! 

The bike was running good when parked, yes.  So I know it was wired properly.  

solenoid.jpg

• Like 1

No but the starter switch could be stuck. Really have to get into the schematic to see, but basically there are two circuits. The low amp ignition circuit is used to energize the high amp starter motor. 

ok, when you turn the ignition key, you’re energizing a portion of the ignition circuit. The starter circuit is completed only by first pushing the starter button.

so, I would disconnect the starter first—at the solenoid. Find the big wire coming off the starter, follow it up to the solenoid, and disconnect it. 

will make it easier to find out what is causing the solenoid to become energized when the master switch is on. If you’re hearing a loud click from the solenoid as soon as you turn the key, then you’ll know something’s wrong.

then power off. You’re gonna have to remove the front fender to check for a short in the left hand multi switch. Follow the ignition circuit diagnostics—should be chapter 20 or thereabouts 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

With the key off you should have no power going to the solenoid to activate it (yellow/red wire) and it should only be powered when pushing the starter button with the key on. The green wire is ground triggered by neutral or a false neutral when starting it in gear (pull the brake). If both of those wires check good, you got a bad solenoid.

• Like 2

What if the mice / rat chewed on wiring somewhere else besides that solenoids lead  , like under the front fender , have you inspected the wiring front to back ?  Are those solenoids your buying OEM 

image.png

• Like 1