shrade

light bar and accessories mount

fabricated up a mount for my light bar and future accessories the other day. took a piece of 3/4" tube cut to length, welded  a 5/16th" T nut in each end,  made a couple of 90 degree brackets from  some 1/8" stock I had in the iron pile. bolted these to a couple of motorcycle mirror brackets I found on ebay. Primed and painted. Had to make an extension for the choke cable mount as it was in the way. moved the master cylinder as far outboard as it could go, this allowed the two mirror brackets to be mounted somewhat symmetrically on the bars. bolted her up hooked up the wiring installed a cheap "waterproof motorcycle" switch, also found on ebay. Turned out rather well IMO. Found and old tiny Tach I had on an old John Deere garden tractor  slapped it on. 

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

• Like 8

Looks good! Just a heads up. Those water proof switches dont last long. Its easy enough to splice into the factory headlight switch on the bars though if it goes south. I went through 3 or 4 of those switches for my fan. Could have been the vibration from the aggressive riding/racing i do.

4 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Looks good! Just a heads up. Those water proof switches dont last long. Its easy enough to splice into the factory headlight switch on the bars though if it goes south. I went through 3 or 4 of those switches for my fan. Could have been the vibration from the aggressive riding/racing i do.

Slammed

Thanks for the heads-up on the "water proof" switches, I suspected as much.

Thanks

Slammed'  ain't kidding about going thru them toggles , I went thru a bunch of them ,  there are cheap ones with metal contacts that really don't last long at all for me , then there are better quality marine switches with brass contacts that last longer , but cost more and still go out any ways , so after taking them apart , I seen where to drill a small hole into the plastic housing without hitting the contacts , then use a grease hypodermic needle thing I have and shot dielectric grease into the switch , once I started doing that , they last 

• Like 4

On 1/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, shrade said:

IMG_1494.JPG

Shrade, what brand of light is that ?

On a side note I'm a big fan of liquid electric tape (it's like tool handle dip) to cover electrical connections. Used on winch contactor and lots of places on my boat.

• Like 1

I like liquid tape too , just wish the shelf life was longer , seems once opened , it doesn't stay good long