Bossdaddy

Neutral "N" Blinking and don't shift

Guys, I have the opportunity to buy a 2013 Foreman 500 ES, it's in pretty good shape, but the ES has problems, and I don't know enough about them to know what I might be getting in to. With the engine running the N blinks 2 long blinks followed by 2 short blinks. Does anyone know what this means? I know there is a list of all the codes, but I don't know where to find it. Thanks for any help.

9 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

Guys, I have the opportunity to buy a 2013 Foreman 500 ES, it's in pretty good shape, but the ES has problems, and I don't know enough about them to know what I might be getting in to. With the engine running the N blinks 2 long blinks followed by 2 short blinks. Does anyone know what this means? I know there is a list of all the codes, but I don't know where to find it. Thanks for any help.

Go to the service manuals link in the toolbar at the top of the page, open the link, go to Honda, Utility Quads, Foreman 500 FE FM TM, then pull up the 2012 manual.

Look on page 23-13.  Looks like error code 22 is the angle sensor.  

Pull up the factory service manual, follow the troubleshooting instructions for that code (page 23-18).  If you do need an angle sensor, use OEM only.  Don't buy aftermarket garbage.

Thanks jeep, I'll do some research from what you told me. shadetree, talk to me, is this model just got problems or just the shifting a problem, you know something to say far far away.

1 hour ago, Bossdaddy said:

Thanks jeep, I'll do some research from what you told me. shadetree, talk to me, is this model just got problems or just the shifting a problem, you know something to say far far away.

ES machines use a bunch of wires, switches, sensors, and an electric motor to do something that you can do with a twitch of your foot.

Shade is a KISS guy (Keep It Simple Stupid) so he doesn't like anything that isn't a footshift.

I'm a footshift fan, but I also drive manual transmissions in my vehicles.

But I understand not everyone wants a footshift, and the ES and even the Hondamatic machines can be fine if you take care of them and are prepared to maintain them.

Look up @retro's ES maint thread.  If you can get the angle sensor issue fixed, and follow Retro's advice, you probably won't have any big problems from the ES.

They aren't as reliable as a footshift, but lots of people have them with few or no issues.

Not only the ES side of things, but that model was only made for 2012 and 2013

Sort of "one of a kind" and relatively hard to find used replacement parts on ebay

I know, I had a 2012 Foreman 500 and  It was a good machine, but took me over a year to get it pieced back together

Sold it for a good price and never looked back

• Like 1