riverc

Do you have a vegetable garden?

Youngest brought home a few carrot sprouts they grew in class. We planted them in a big pot this weekend. If all goes will, we spent $12 on a pot to grow 4 carrots lol Cucumbers are growing and squash and getting big. Potatoes have till the end of the month to hit 90 days.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hey river ..... Here's one i found this morning.. According to the site this one kills everything (broad leaf, and etc) I'm looking for a natural way to kill ivy .... That stuff is very resilient...... But the problem is it climbs the trees... So what ever i use has to kill it but not the trees it's climbing .... Figured some of you guys migh find this stuff useful, but i wouldn't use it anywhere close to the garden plants, just finished getting my flow master 1002rs lubed with silicon grease but I'm going to Waite till this weather passes.... See  how good this mix works. 

https://www.tipsbulletin.com/homemade-poison-ivy-killer/#salt-vinegar-soap-homemade-poison-ivy-killer

Says 3 lbs salt.... It's dry enough to spray now, i think the rain will hold off till this drys on the leaves, but i don't know when it will show it's effect on the growth...I'm adding a twist... I'm going to keep this mix as hot as i can.... So two things i think should help the extreme amount of salt.. And scolding liquid... Now if i could just com up with a less toxic way to kill fire ants... I'm not using talstar p... Close to my home... Eventho it works great! If you didnt see the full mix, it's 3 lbs salt .... Doesn't say table or sea salt.. 1/2 cup on natural dish washing detergent, one gallon water, hot or cold is not mentioned .... But hot would be my guess as salt melts in hot quicker... Before and after pics coming soon. 

Edit: i might also mention this salt I'm using is hand crank ice cream maker salt.... Haha, it's taking a while to melt.... 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Dawn dishwater soap and water will melt ants' exoskeletons  , it just has to come in contact with them , turns them into a pile of crystal looking stuff 

• Thanks 1

Thanks ! Much appreciated !! (High five) ! 

Can you Ball park a mix ratio ? Doesn't matter how strong it is.... I just need a killer recipe. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

I don't measure , just a good squirt of Dawn in a 1/2 full 5 gallon bucket , easier to handle 1/2 full , don't take much Dawn  and pour  it over the piles 

• Thanks 1

Just got done spraying.... I hit a mound with what i had mixed... Yep... Looks like little brown curled up something.... Worked quick! I'm already seeing the growth wilt as well.... If th sun would dry it.... On the plants it would work even faster... I can say this to... Chip monk squirts are not a fan of that mix ether haha... Had 3 run right by me a short time after dosing that growth... I believe this mix might just be what I've been looking for, FOR a while .....now the test.... If it kills ivy WE ARE GOOD TO GO!! Some people have an over growth of kudzu..... I don't wont anything to do with that vine......it's kinda funny you can mention kudzu in casual convo... You get sime very odd looks from some farmers.... You've heard of the movie cocain bear ? Well kudzu grows like it's on drugs... Hate that stuff... It's great cattle feed, but incredibly hard to control.... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

I Can defenently tell this works..... Even has a distinct Oder ......my thinking is.. This mix will need to be reapplied ... Due to moisture that will accumulate over night..... It looks like what 2,4 d amine does,  but  even weeds dosed with that will and do recover....it used to stunt un wanted growth to give wanted plants to get a good start... Then those wanted  plants help keep weeds shaded out. 

image.jpg

Okay ..... I'm shocked at how good that salt dawn mixture worked but here ya go.... Ha! Um took a few days to get to see the end results.... Haha! ...... Ya i know bad joke.... Anyways...... Here's the pics.. Another thing i noticed was fire ants also detest this mixture, this mound has been at the edge of a concrete pad from the very 1st they came back from winter.... Gone like a snowball... In a fire pit... And I'm talking fast! (3rd pic) i recomend using all the mixture.... And then taking the wand apart after flushing with hot water, then using this lube on the rubber parts.... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Update... Still working good, but the poison vine.... Well i didn't get the complete plant sprayed.. But what got treated... Bit the dust... Re stocked on cheeper chunk home made ice cream crank salt... Soon will be the ivy test.... That stuff is hard too kill.... Most is around the trees so chemicals are out i don't even like getting this salt / dawn mixture close.......back to gardening..... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Be happy to.... I'm curious myself, I'll tell ya what I'll do..... I'll wait on treating the brick walk again just to see how effective the 1st treatment was... The ivy i plan on going after soon as this wet weather slacks up some, as this salt dawn mixture needed to dry on the plant and be absorbed for a time to be really effective...the pressure (tank vent knob broke off, so.... while i was doing things in the city went and purchased a new valve (defrent better valve)  So changed it... Lubed the rubber trigger plunger o-rings pump mechanism purchased 12 lbs of ice cream maker salt.... Next I'm going with bulk salt 50 lb bag.... We feed cattle, Same as some of yaw use for deer plots...etc etc... 

image.jpg

• Like 2

I started cleaning up garden today and it was hot. Pulled out a row of purple hull peas also took out the zucchini, squash, eggplant and a few peppers & cucumbers. Will clean out the other plants in about 2 weeks.

Going to start getting ready for fall will start a few cucumber & cabbage seeds in cups. Late august early September will plant some turnip, rutabaga, and whatever wife wants. Lol ground is so dry & hard might bend the tines on tiller.

•  
  • Like 2

I learned something that kills grass , vinegar , had shrimp and crab peeling in the garbage can and it was bad , was out of bleach , had some vinegar , cleaning style , swished some around in the cans , instead of dumping it in the ditch , I dumped it on the grass on a ant pile and there is now a dead spot 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I learned something that kills grass , vinegar , had shrimp and crab peeling in the garbage can and it was bad , was out of bleach , had some vinegar , cleaning style , swished some around in the cans , instead of dumping it in the ditch , I dumped it on the grass on a ant pile and there is now a dead spot 

Yea wife mixed up a batch of vinegar can't remember what else she put in it and sprayed some poison ivy vines it killed them.

• Like 2

River, we're wrapping up here too. The cucumbers and peppers are still going though. My garlic have all died and are non existent unfortunately. I think the heat killed them. I need to get a box further in the shade. 

Speaking of boxes, I have something growing into my boxes and I suspect it's sucking the nutrients from my veggies. I think it's the white oak tree in the neighbors yard. It's like a mesh network of roots. I'll get a picture tomorrow. Needless to say, this winter will be me emptying the boxes and shaking the dirt out of the roots onto a tarp so I can put plastic soil cloth down under the boxes to prevent this from happening again hopefully.

Other than that it was a  pretty good season 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SailRedemption said:

River, we're wrapping up here too. The cucumbers and peppers are still going though. My garlic have all died and are non existent unfortunately. I think the heat killed them. I need to get a box further in the shade. 

Speaking of boxes, I have something growing into my boxes and I suspect it's sucking the nutrients from my veggies. I think it's the white oak tree in the neighbors yard. It's like a mesh network of roots. I'll get a picture tomorrow. Needless to say, this winter will be me emptying the boxes and shaking the dirt out of the roots onto a tarp so I can put plastic soil cloth down under the boxes to prevent this from happening again hopefully.

Other than that it was a  pretty good season 

I planted cucumbers early they produced more than I could eat gave to friends & family. Planted seed for 6 plants hope to make till October. Pepper & okra doing ok too.I also have 4 rows of pink eyed purple hull peas growing if we could just get some rain they would take off.I hear ya on your soil I picked up a soil sample kit today at Cleggs nursery in Baton Rouge will send sample to LSU  Something is lacking or too much in the soil need to find out what's needed.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 9:34 PM, riverc said:

I planted cucumbers early they produced more than I could eat gave to friends & family. Planted seed for 6 plants hope to make till October. Pepper & okra doing ok too.I also have 4 rows of pink eyed purple hull peas growing if we could just get some rain they would take off.I hear ya on your soil I picked up a soil sample kit today at Cleggs nursery in Baton Rouge will send sample to LSU  Something is lacking or too much in the soil need to find out what's needed.

My soil WAS good but I think that tree or whatever is growing in there is sucking it down. I added a couple photos of my problem mesh root system and the tree I think it is.

I tried to grow some peas but they were in a big pot and I don't think they got enough water to really take off. I have one huge cucumber I need to take off but it still has a a tiny skinny bottom.

PXL_20230808_204513429.jpg

PXL_20230808_204542632.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Day # 127 still no tomatoes , LOL 

image.png

Will have some good buds though.

When I first seen the pic thought bbq pit , then read the story 

Just a warning for those that don’t know…Potting soil can spontaneously combust! And with the super drought and temperatures into the 100’s, the fire can spread fast. Of course we found this out the hard way! This all started by the tomato plant that was sitting on our front porch.

image.png

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

When I first seen the pic thought bbq pit , then read the story 

Just a warning for those that don’t know…Potting soil can spontaneously combust! And with the super drought and temperatures into the 100’s, the fire can spread fast. Of course we found this out the hard way! This all started by the tomato plant that was sitting on our front porch.

image.png

Ammonium nitrate.... Would be my guess...i recall when we had to start getting applicators lineces .....to even purchase it... Not sure if that's still implemented ...if i recall right it also depended on if it was to be purchased in bulk... Or small amounts.. 

Edited by _Wilson_™