brattfield12

Leaking rocker cover

Hi I have bought a trx350d 1989 and the rocker cover is weeping oil. I have found a old thread stating to use hondabond and not silicon . 

I have looked online and there's two types of hondabond , 4 and ht . 

Dose any one know which type of hondabond I should be using or an alternative that is as good. 

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by brattfield12
To add types of hondabond
  • Like 1

If you buy Hondabond get the HT (high temp). A little goes a long ways and be careful what you use the left over on because it's good stuff. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I use this.  Yamabond is also good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TWXI1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dang stuff has gotten pricey.  Was about $12 last time i ordered some.  FJB!

Permatex Grey Moto Seal is 1/2 the price , a much bigger tube ( twice the size ) and it is the same stuff , you can get it at NAPA  ,  exactly the same stuff from the same factory , as I have  read that Threebond is the people that make Hondabond and Yamabond for Honda and Yamaha , cause you know Honda doesn't make it themselves ---- I remember when Hondabond 4 came out and Hondabond 3 was phased out , I read that was done to formulate the product and take out some of the toxins 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brattfield12 said:

Hi I have bought a trx350d 1989 and the rocker cover is weeping oil. I have found a old thread stating to use hondabond and not silicon . 

I have looked online and there's two types of hondabond , 4 and ht . 

Dose any one know which type of hondabond I should be using or an alternative that is as good. 

Thank you in advance. 

Let’s see how you’re doing this job. Are ya gonna completely remove it and clean the old sealant? Id be careful not to use a metal scraper on that aluminum.

i also bought a 1/4” and 3/8” breaker bar so i could get straight over the top of those bolt heads. Spray them with penetrating oil about a week before you try to break them loose. Carefully detorque them with six-point sockets. And number or map the bolts as you pull them out—they’re all different lengths and at least one has a copper washer.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

I’ve had hit & miss results with Yamabond & Honda Bond. I’ve had leaks. Finally got the leak to stop using red rtv. I know the preferred method is Honda Bond, but due to my experience.. I’m still not sure what I’ll use when I reassemble my 400bbk..