jeepwm69

Plastic fender crank repairs, what works?

I've "stitched" up quite a few fender cranks over the years by drilling small holes on either side of the crack and using zip ties.  It works, doesn't look terrible, but not great either.

I have a camo fender set for the 2012 Rubicon I'm working on, and the rear fender has a big crack in one side.  Given the size and the number of holes I'd have to drill, I'm considering a different route on this one.

Has anyone here tried heating up hardware cloth and pressing it into the underside of a fender, melting it into the plastic?  I saw someone fix one like that somewhere online, but can't remember where.  Looks like melting some screen up into the underside of the fender would give a good strong repair once the plastic hardens back up.

• Like 1

No i haven't but sounds like it would work good, what i have seen is plastic that's been welded re crack further back from the weld... I recon it becomes somewhat more brittle ? I'd like to see this route you might be taking.... Lost my connection for a few ill look for a video about that type job... Sounds good to me.  

• Like 1

Heres something I found in an article about fender repair.

Fix ATV Cracked Plastics

If you haven’t taken care of your ATV plastics, they could dry out over time and eventually crack and break. Or the more likely option, you hit something didn’t you? That’s ok, cracked plastics can usually be fixed without too much trouble. If you don’t want to spend the money buying new plastic parts, you’ll need to do it yourself.

For small little cracks you could try using the JB Weld I talked about above, but that only really works for cracks less than a few inches. But, you probably really messed your toy up bad, and for that, you’re gonna need something better.

hotStapleGun-300x294.png.webp

I recommend using what’s called a hot staple gun. Like this Astro 7600 Hot Staple Gun Kit found here on Amazon. This thing is amazing and I’ve used it on more than just my ATV. It works by heating up these specially designed staples it comes with. The staples get set into the plastic making a nice strong bond, but still allowing the plastic to be flexible.

You just line up the pieces you want joined, and use the staple gun to staple them together. The staple is heated to it can sink into the plastic a bit, making a super strong bond. I always do the stapling on the underside of the plastic, that way you don’t see the staples. If you use this method, you will still see the crack on the upper side of the plastics. You can then use the JB Weld to fill in the crack, and then sand away any excess making a nice smooth surface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve tried the soda/super glue on a recon. Patched it where the choke cable comes up by handlebars. Didn’t work that well for me cause it broke right back off. Seen my dad fix a fender on a truck with hardware cloth and fiberglass. Not to pretty but it held.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's what I'm working with.  I might just stitch it since the previous owner already did to some degree.  Not like these fenders are in perfect shape anyway. 

That said, I might try one of those staplers.  The one THH linked in pricey, but there are some cheaper ones available on amazon.

fender crack.jpg

• Like 2

I tried my hand with welding some broken plastic last year. I used some small paper clips and a soldering iron to heat them up and melt into the plastic. after that I used same color zip ties to cover them up and hold them in. They are holding great and have had no problems with them. Plus I had all that stuff at the house so i didnt have to go out and buy anything. Since then my dad bought a plastic welding gun but i have not used it yet. Exact same concept. 

Hope this helps out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2