livemusic

Trail riding questions

Hello, I am thinking of getting into traveling to ride trails. I am in Louisiana, so, probably not much here! My brother lives in Arkansas, they probably have plenty. Also thinking of traveling an entire summer and ride trails. I have a 2007 Honda Foreman 500, would need to buy another for my brother.

Are ATV trails for ATV only? Or either ATV or side by sides? Or does this also include dirt bikes?

When you search, what term do you use to find trails?

Do these cost fees to ride them?

Do you usually need to take extra fuel?

What if you break down and can't fix it, now what? What do YOU do to face such a possibility?

Thanks!

• Like 1

First of all, the Internet is your friend here. Rules, trails and trail passes vary by state. Sometimes it's OHV(Off highway vehicles) ATV, ATV/SxS you name it. Restrictions may be by class, width, weight etc. Several states require nonresident passes. Some states like ours have designated trails and or other allowable trails/roads. You will have to do your research state by state and sometimes counties have their own rules. If gas stops look few, carry some. Ride with a friend and bring a tow strap, tire repair kit, air pump, water, essential tools etc. I hate to mention this but the Polaris Ride command app is a great help also and probably better than their vehicles. I also carry maps, compass, GPS, matches, saw, flash light, knife, electricians tape etc.

Good luck.

Edited by PROV
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum.  I live in Louisiana myself.  I Dont public trail ride. From talking with friends who frequent the mud parks here in Louisiana and Mississippi they are just that ,  a mud park. More mud holes than trails.  Sounds like you might like to rent a cabin at somewhere with trails. 

Well said Prov, first and foremost, would highly recommend several things. Make sure you have a machine(regardless of brand)with independent suspension, not saying it's a must, but power steering makes your riding days longer with less fatigue.  There are those that say it doesn't matter once you're on the trail, sorry but they're wrong! As Prov said, be prepared with basic essentials,  tire plugs are a must, we have some trails that are pretty rocky with very sharp rocks that can puncture. Tow strap is a must, if you're going to be out in unfamiliar area waaaaay back in take gas. These cans are expensive but fit flat on your racks and can bungee other things on top of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201509474562?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=201509474562&targetid=1645685073288&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9021321&poi=&campaignid=20133407470&mkgroupid=147476396765&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073288&abcId=9312979&merchantid=114622461&gclid=CjwKCAjwu4WoBhBkEiwAojNdXgzz5TXeswYjKRZ_Ggg-BLWGASH5IYJo43p6L2D-_uPxDt-_o5uStBoCwkIQAvD_BwE

Most of the states around us, including us(Montana) require offroad stickers or permits, we have to buy an offroad trail permit  every two years, Wyoming and South Dakota require a Temporary pass if you're gonna ride their trails. Plan your routes well and and have fun, If you're ever up montana way, Would love to take you out on some of our trails.

20200802_195557.jpg

20211003_130143_01.jpg

20230908_190917.jpg

image000005 (3).jpg

• Like 5