jeepwm69

No spark, 2013 500 Foreman ES (now not fixed again)

Thank you for your help!  This one is a bugger.  All from using an aftermarket coil.

Can stick a pin or something sharp into the Bl/R wire at the fuse block to take a reading

2 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Can stick a pin or something sharp into the Bl/R wire at the fuse block to take a reading

yes sir.  I did that.  On the battery side I get full voltage.  When I put a fuse in I get a voltage drop across the fuse.  Tried multiple fuses.  Something is drawing it down

With black meter lead on neg of battery -- check the voltage on each little gray dot on top of ign. fuse

Unplug the green connector (14pin)  going to the display meter --see if voltage goes up

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Unplug the green connector (14pin)  going to the display meter --see if voltage goes up

I’m out of daylight here. I’ll see what that does in the AM.  Gotta get the mini-me to bed

Okay

22 hours ago, Melatv said:

Did not.  No change.  (Well

it went up like 2/100’s)

On 3/11/2024 at 7:38 PM, jeepwm69 said:

No voltage at all at the coil with the gray plug disconnected on the ECU.

Do this again and let me know

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Melatv said:

Everything else plugged in or ?

this is what you get for working on those stupid 500's !..lol.

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

My old air cooled, carb’d Foremans are easy to work on!  This EFI “bigger 420” is giving me fits!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Everything else plugged in or ?

Yes

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

@bcsman i stand corrected, lol!

I've never seen a failure inside a harness junction box yet but it's looking like I'm about to. Thanks Mel for jumping in.

22 hours ago, Melatv said:

No voltage at the coil with that gray plug disconnected.

Plugged it back in and coil reads 10.95 V

battery reads 12.33v

So are y’all thinking this is my problem?

2B0349C6-373C-4293-8DEF-5B42C215C451.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I see chewed wires there and other things that would cause the problem -- @retro good to find time to help out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Melatv said:

I see chewed wires there and other things that would cause the problem -- @retro good to find time to help out.

That was the initial problem was rat chewed wires. I used some of those heat shrink connections with solder in the middle to put the wires back together. Machine ran until the aftermarket coil wire melted on the exhaust.

I see what you’re talking about now. Green wire gnawed on.  Am I better off snipping those and stripping them back and getting a better connection?

i’m fairly certain that the rat damage was done before the coil wire melted 

22 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

No voltage at the coil with that gray plug disconnected.

Plugged it back in and coil reads 10.95 V

battery reads 12.33v

So are y’all thinking this is my problem?

2B0349C6-373C-4293-8DEF-5B42C215C451.jpeg

21 hours ago, Melatv said:

So, zooming in on this pic on my computer at work, much easier to see.   You see the yellow/blue wire that I spliced using one of those heat shrink tubes with solder in the center.  That was a wire that was completely gnawed in two by a rat, which is why the wheeler was originally brought to me.

I fixed three such wires, wheeler ran, and I returned it to the woman.  

A couple of weeks later she called me back, wheeler was dead again.  I discovered blown ignition fuse, and when I replaced the fuse, the coil smoked and hissed, and I realized the coil wire had melted to and was shorted on the exhaust.  

I have not found any more wires gnawed in two, and the woman moved the wheeler from a barn to her carport when I returned it to her the first time.

So should I snip. strip, and reconnect the wires that were gnawed but not broken to make sure they have a good connection?   Replace the whole harness?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

So, zooming in on this pic on my computer at work, much easier to see.   You see the yellow/blue wire that I spliced using one of those heat shrink tubes with solder in the center.  That was a wire that was completely gnawed in two by a rat, which is why the wheeler was originally brought to me.

I fixed three such wires, wheeler ran, and I returned it to the woman.  

A couple of weeks later she called me back, wheeler was dead again.  I discovered blown ignition fuse, and when I replaced the fuse, the coil smoked and hissed, and I realized the coil wire had melted to and was shorted on the exhaust.  

I have not found any more wires gnawed in two, and the woman moved the wheeler from a barn to her carport when I returned it to her the first time.

So should I snip. strip, and reconnect the wires that were gnawed but not broken to make sure they have a good connection?   Replace the whole harness?  

time wise ?..it would be better ( to me anyway ) to just replace the wire harness.

• Like 1

Hi -- the wires with just the insulation covering just chew off -- use Permatex Liquid Electrical Tape --

I don't like using those heat shrink tubes with solder in them -- because the wires have to be perfectly clean -- solder the connections tape them good -or use crimped connectors and liquid tape the ends.

• Like 1