George M

2003 honda foreman es meter 37200-HNO-771

5 hours ago, George M said:

gears are not indicating on my meter, can anyone help? 

image_123650291.JPG

Welcome to the forum!

looks like you need reprogramming to restore the dropped gear position indicator, also the dark oval is Sun damaged polarization film and backlight filter 

I replied to you direct message you sent me  as well

-AKATV 

• Like 1

I have a 2005 Honda trx350fe. I started having shifting issues a couple of years ago, at that time there was not any gear indicator on the dash. 

That made it difficult to see any trouble codes. I replaced the ecu, wire harness and angle sensor, no improvement in shifting or gear indicator. I gave up and purchased

a shift bypass kit which let it shift. i put it back together and rode it, but you had to control your engine speed. I decided to use it this fall and it shifts between n and 1st and sometimes reverse,

but nothing above 1st. I have checked the shift motor which tries to shift when installed and spins freely when removed. The reduction gears look good, but need grease. 

I have the machine on stands and it shifts with the tool through all gears. The machine starts and runs good. Would like some insight please, thanks

Are you saying you put it all back together with the original parts?
If you have it all back together with the original parts and the shift motor is trying to shift but not shifting electronically, but it shifts fine manually using the tool, you might want to check the magnets inside the shift motor they get cracked sometimes or the glue comes loose and they will make weak attempts to shift

make sure you have a good strong battery as well

As far as the no gear indicator on your speedometer post a picture, most likely it needs to be reprogrammed

Does your speedometer read speed properly?
-AKATV

The speedometer reads correctly. The only parts I replaced were the ecu, main wiring harness, the shift kit, and angle sensor ( original checked out within resistance range, replacement did not, installed the original). Will inspect the shift motor, thanks

I got the shift motor checked out at an auto electric place. When I installed it, same problem only shifts between N and 1st. Tried the manual shift tool and could not go beyond 1st with shift motor installed. Removed the shift motor and can now manually go through all tha gears. Any inspires?

Just now, [email protected] said:

The shift motor tested good, There seems to be a mechanical obstruction when the shift motor is installed. Is there a linkage behind the front crankcase cover?

Gears under the shift motor look ok?   The gears turn the shaft that the emergency shifter turns, so not really a linkage back there.   If the emergency shifter goes through all the gears ok, I'd be closely examining the gears and bearings under the shift motor.

Also might want to make sure that the reduction gears are timed properly I know there’s a little mark on there did you have to line up when you put them together

also, make sure you have a good strong battery powering that shift motor -if your speedometer cuts out and restarts or  it goes blank when you’re using the electric start or trying to shift, that’s a sign of a weak battery
-AKATV

Quicksilver and severdl  are the same. Battery is at 12.8 volts  I did not change any reduction gears, just visually inspected them  and applied white lithium grease. I could have moved them.

OK they’re probably still OK then
I have heard of shift motors binding, I can’t remember why -if it was due to a missing gasket or something?

Try loosening the shift motor bolts just a bit and see if you’re able to use the electric shift

also, are you trying to shift through the gears with the motor running or without the motor running? because if you’re not rocking it slightly when it’s not running, it will not drop fully into gear

-AKATV

You'll need to perform this ES prep completely. You might have a seized or crooked reduction gear support bearing.... You'll need to shine up the motor and frame grounds as well as dielectric grease every harness connector, so both the front and rear fenders must be removed.

https://atvhonda.com/topic/570-how-to-properly-prep-your-honda-es-shift-system/

• Like 1

I cleaned , regreased, and inspected all the reduction gears behind the shift motor. Reinstalled shift motor, it will not shift into 2nd from 1st, but shifts from neutral into 1st easily. Without the shift motor installed and everything else in place I can use the emergency shift to go through all the gears, up and down and reverse. Is it the shift motor not having enough torque to engage reverse and 2,3,4,5?

Are you trying to shift with the motor running with the motor off?
Also, I have found in my experience if your

Idle speed is too high it will not shift when sitting still, even if you rock it

Did you try loosening the shift motor bolts just a bit

and see if the shift motor was binding?

Make sure your battery is in good shape and you are getting proper voltage to the shift motor
If it’s getting weak, It might only be good for one or two shifts before the voltage drops

The ES system has to have a very good battery/ voltage regulator to work properly 

-AKATV